Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Homesteading

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
20220221_170007.jpg
20220221_170018.jpg
It's coming along nicely. This weekend it was freaking cold in the barn with no heat

loose_is_fast

McClure
So we got home from a family vacation to Gatlinburg today to find the chicken coop door closed and the roost door half open. I usually leave the coop door open as we have an auto door that runs off a timer for the roost. Well the rope for the roost door came off the spool and wrapped around the arbor of the motor causing a fault leaving it partially open. There are feathers and blood all over the coop and 1 missing chicken. From what I can tell there was quite the struggle inside and the chicken made it out of the coop and when exiting either the chicken or predator hit the board holding the coop door open and it closed the rest in. No sign of the dead chicken anywhere. My question is what was it. Opossums and coons don't take chickens with them and just kill them just like mink. We have fox and coyote but I didn't see any prints........ any ideas?

If it's not too much trouble for them, I've had coons travel a ways with their prize. When I free ranged birds, I had dogs that would go into a frenzy and just catch, shake, kill, and move onto the next. The yard would look like somebody shot pillows with a shotgun. I lost 2 birds to coons last week, reset the traps and have 6 coon and 2 possum so far.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
So we got home from a family vacation to Gatlinburg today to find the chicken coop door closed and the roost door half open. I usually leave the coop door open as we have an auto door that runs off a timer for the roost. Well the rope for the roost door came off the spool and wrapped around the arbor of the motor causing a fault leaving it partially open. There are feathers and blood all over the coop and 1 missing chicken. From what I can tell there was quite the struggle inside and the chicken made it out of the coop and when exiting either the chicken or predator hit the board holding the coop door open and it closed the rest in. No sign of the dead chicken anywhere. My question is what was it. Opossums and coons don't take chickens with them and just kill them just like mink. We have fox and coyote but I didn't see any prints........ any ideas?
Maybe time for a trail camera on the coop….

Geezer II

Bountiful Hunting Grounds Beyond.
portage county oh
If it's not too much trouble for them, I've had coons travel a ways with their prize. When I free ranged birds, I had dogs that would go into a frenzy and just catch, shake, kill, and move onto the next. The yard would look like somebody shot pillows with a shotgun. I lost 2 birds to coons last week, reset the traps and have 6 coon and 2 possum so far.
Had the dog frenzy a couple times - know what your talkkng about

Reactions: HE>I

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I couldn't get my hands on cones without spending more than I wanted. I'll have some next year just to prevent wing/leg breaks (shit got wild on a couple 😂). But I can see the advantage for sure. The YardBird plucked is rough on them, too, but it does in 20 seconds what takes 20 minutes otherwise. Had I had help, I could have done 8 birds in less than 2 hours, setup and cleanup included. I fucked up not getting the heatshrink bags too. I've done birds before, but never by myself start to finish. I just joined the assembly line and was the gutter and leg remover. Was a good learning experience!

20220911_162604.jpg

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Lol, the ol school method is fun to teach the kiddos but Ive come to like the kill cone method for ease of cleanup.
Agreed very easy but feeling the blood run down my hand was sobering.
No need to buy cones, save your windshield washer fluid bottles and cut to size. Put as many as ya want/need in a row on a board between 2 trees, homemade stand, etc.🍻
I just used a traffic come i found in the ditch cut to size.

I didn't splurge for the big plucker, got one to run off my drill.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The fam and I (mostly I) decided that we’d try our hands at raising our own broiler chickens back in September. I went down to Meyer Hatchery and picked up a dozen Cornish cross chicks and we were off to the races. A few weeks in the brooder setup and then I moved them over to a bigger pen in the barn. All in all they were easy to maintain and we didn’t lose any birds prematurely, thankfully. I noticed a few days ago we were getting low on feed. Not wanting to buy another bag, I decided today was their day… just a fuzz past 7 weeks.

A friend of ours owns a chicken plucker so I borrowed that. I set up an impromptu work station in the shop since the winds were absurd today. I fashioned a killing cone for free with an old 5-gallon bucket. Sharp knife… whack… drain… then into the scalding pot, 150 degrees for about 20 seconds. Then into the plucker, which made really quick work of them. Less than 20 seconds in the plucker and they were clean as a baby’s ass. When I had them all plucked, I got to work on the gutting process. From there the birds went into an ice water bath for about an hour, mainly to cool them down quickly so I didn’t put a huge initial strain on the freezer. After the ice bath, they went into these kick ass shrink bags from Texas Poultry. Basically it’s like heat shrink for a carcass… put the bird in, adjust the wings and legs, give it a twist and a zip tie, then dip into 200 degree water. Piece of cake. The bags are high quality and thick, so I don’t foresee freezer burn being much of an issue. Plus they just look great when they’re done.

I know that was quick so if anyone has any specific questions just fire away. I haven’t done an official taste test yet, but assuming they are good we will definitely be doing this again. I’ve got 12 birds and I’d estimate they are each around 5-8 pounds dressed. I’m glad we didn’t go to week 8 or else they might not have fit in the bags!

1667692311153.jpeg

1667692367882.jpeg

1667692412856.jpeg

1667692435172.jpeg

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
The fam and I (mostly I) decided that we’d try our hands at raising our own broiler chickens back in September. I went down to Meyer Hatchery and picked up a dozen Cornish cross chicks and we were off to the races. A few weeks in the brooder setup and then I moved them over to a bigger pen in the barn. All in all they were easy to maintain and we didn’t lose any birds prematurely, thankfully. I noticed a few days ago we were getting low on feed. Not wanting to buy another bag, I decided today was their day… just a fuzz past 7 weeks.

A friend of ours owns a chicken plucker so I borrowed that. I set up an impromptu work station in the shop since the winds were absurd today. I fashioned a killing cone for free with an old 5-gallon bucket. Sharp knife… whack… drain… then into the scalding pot, 150 degrees for about 20 seconds. Then into the plucker, which made really quick work of them. Less than 20 seconds in the plucker and they were clean as a baby’s ass. When I had them all plucked, I got to work on the gutting process. From there the birds went into an ice water bath for about an hour, mainly to cool them down quickly so I didn’t put a huge initial strain on the freezer. After the ice bath, they went into these kick ass shrink bags from Texas Poultry. Basically it’s like heat shrink for a carcass… put the bird in, adjust the wings and legs, give it a twist and a zip tie, then dip into 200 degree water. Piece of cake. The bags are high quality and thick, so I don’t foresee freezer burn being much of an issue. Plus they just look great when they’re done.

I know that was quick so if anyone has any specific questions just fire away. I haven’t done an official taste test yet, but assuming they are good we will definitely be doing this again. I’ve got 12 birds and I’d estimate they are each around 5-8 pounds dressed. I’m glad we didn’t go to week 8 or else they might not have fit in the bags!

View attachment 165448
View attachment 165449
View attachment 165450
View attachment 165451
Nice! Sounds like you had everything planned out well. How long between butchering this bunch and starting the next batch?