Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Garden Thread

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
What do you guys do with your extra seeds? So many packs are 100 of this or that but no way will I use that much. Food saver seal?

Most are good for another 1-2yrs. Keep in cool/dark place, some ppl put in no light envelope and put in fridge. Growing up we always just keep the extras in their original envelope to retain directions/info, all together in a basket in the tack room on a shelf.

Daughter just asked about strawberries and I remember yeeeaars ago we planted them in a raised bed. Can’t remember much other than we were loaded with them til one year my dad ore the rotting bed down and moved the dirt. Anyone do them? Do they need to be in a raised bed? I seem to think the soil in ours was mostly manure but not sure.

Jamie

Ohio
we have a pretty good patch of wild strawberries that started all on it's own. has spread out to cover a large part of a flower bed behind the house. they are as happy as they can be mixed in with Myrtle, and in the shade of all the other crap Nancy has planted. I picked about 4-5 quarts last year. and those wild berries are pretty small, but really, really juicy and tasty. so, no they do not need to be in a raised bed. as far as I can tell, they don't mind plenty of afternoon shade or competition. the soil in her flower beds is not the best, but it's gets mulched every year.

Nancy has all of our garden plants in dirt now. the first things she planted a few weeks ago are all up. she planted some snow peas a week ago. spinach and arugula are both about 2" tall now. all of the asparagus crowns we planted last year are now producing. happy they all made it. I'll probably cut some for dinner tomorrow. love me some asparagus.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
we have a pretty good patch of wild strawberries that started all on it's own. has spread out to cover a large part of a flower bed behind the house. they are as happy as they can be mixed in with Myrtle, and in the shade of all the other crap Nancy has planted. I picked about 4-5 quarts last year. and those wild berries are pretty small, but really, really juicy and tasty. so, no they do not need to be in a raised bed. as far as I can tell, they don't mind plenty of afternoon shade or competition. the soil in her flower beds is not the best, but it's gets mulched every year.

Nancy has all of our garden plants in dirt now. the first things she planted a few weeks ago are all up. she planted some snow peas a week ago. spinach and arugula are both about 2" tall now. all of the asparagus crowns we planted last year are now producing. happy they all made it. I'll probably cut some for dinner tomorrow. love me some asparagus.
Asparagus wrapped bacon is the bomb!!!

Making progress. We are at 8 x 18 now, thinking will finish around 14 x 18 for this one due to some roots we are running into. Will look at a second bed to the left of the dog pen gate. Had to repair the hinges on that as well. Slowly getting things done.
1588450839934.jpeg

1588450887900.jpeg

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
Two garden box are done. BIL and I added dirt and cow manure to it. Now waiting until mothers day weekend to plant em .
For some those that were wondering why I wanted to build garden box instead of tilting up the ground. It's so moonshine have more room to run around in his yard.
20200502_163051.jpg
20200502_152406.jpg
20200502_152400.jpg

Last edited:

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Just turning dirt up here. The 10x35' at the house is still gooey, but the wide open & high sand content at the property is perfect. Got a 40x40 cut in and will be putting in the first test trial of sweet corn and carrots tonight or tomorrow with the family.

This 70*+ weather is an amazing tease!

IMG_20200503_105301.jpg
IMG_20200503_105255.jpg