Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Garden Thread

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Maters are thriving and I'll make my first harvest of peppers tomorrow. My bush cucumbers look like shit however and will likely die. I've got two others doing well, plus several seedlings that appear they'll take, so I should still get some pickles put up this year hopefully. Beans are also taking off. Living here definitely makes a big difference on my upkeep! 10-15 minutes a day with a hoe and an hour on the weekend of pruning/tying/tilling makes for a well kept garden!

20190625_183714.jpg

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
We're rolling now. This week has been a good one. Making pickles today with some I bought locally, then doing pickled jalapeno and banana pepper medley, then running a batch of hot pepper mustard. I've also got a few early girl maters and zucchini, but I've been feeding them to the chickens. Easy, cheap food for them! My dogs eat 2-3 eggs a day a piece, so that helps slow things down now that I have 22 chickens laying eggs.

IMG_20190630_124441_978.jpg

20190704_111140.jpg

Chass

The Hills
Not bad for $4, all I had to buy was the seeds and those will get used for a few years to come. Have had the buckets forever and reused potting soil for a second life. Just made some homemade pesto with the basil and parsley, added some oil and lemon juice and minced garlic
20190704_124004.jpg
20190704_122618.jpg
and slathered it on this swordfish steak.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Our "garden" is going to be sprayed with RoundUp whenever is spray the driveway. We never did get it planted. Crazy spring. Glad some of you are able to have some success.

Reactions: Big_Holla

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Right there with ya Phil. Only the pre-started ones that had maters on them are producing. Small plants are 3 for 4 right now but I don't think they will produce, growth is stunted. Cucumbers grew a new set of leaves last week but that's it lol!

The boys sunflower seeds on the other hand are rocking and have been transplanted to the too of the septic mound. One of them better be one of those monster type!

Reactions: hickslawns

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
On the flip side, IF you planted any grass or plants this spring you probably didn't have to water. We got ZERO seeding jobs in this spring. All grass seeding will be moved to fall. We only got a few plants in the ground (50-100). No watering but I'm concerned about rotting the roots out and fungus/too wet related issues. If the roots took hold they should be good if the sudden change to hot/humid/no rain doesn't shock them. Stupid weather.

Reactions: 5Cent and Sgt Fury

OhioWhiteTails

Supporting Member
Flatlands
For now they're only pluck and eat while outside playing with the girls,but mostly to give the deer their sweet tooth fix. My wife wanted to start doing some canning, so I got her a separate backpack sprayer and some treatments for them, but she hasn't done anything with it. I'll probably end up owning this process as well. Until then, the deer can have em.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Garden looks good Jesse!

I've grown fairly decent size gardens for years, during the time I had growing boys living at home.

Now, I grow just enough for my Salsa mainly, so when football season comes around, I'm good to go.

I grow a few different types of tomatoes, peppers and some herbs. I also planted some Raspberry and Blueberry plants this year, Oh and some Catnip for the wife's cats.
20190711_093231.jpg

2019-07-11 09.35.17.jpg

We actually own a small percentage of a family farm in southern Ohio where we get most all of our weekly organic farm garden products from.

Things like real organic cows milk, goats milk, different types of cheese, several different types of jam, real butter, peanut butter and all the fruits & vegetables you can possibly think of, like Kale and few meat items as well, like chicken & pork.

Wife places an order each week and then they call us when they drop it off in town, ready for us to go pick it up.

I have no complaints on anything we've received from them as of yet and we've been doing it for three years now.

I have a good friend that I get a 1/2 cow from each year. Again, no complaints at all.

In fact, the beef has been the best I've ever had and that's saying something, especially when I used to live in Texas where steaks down there are considered a regular daily meal.

I wouldn't feel right if I didn't grow something every year.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
For now they're only pluck and eat while outside playing with the girls,but mostly to give the deer their sweet tooth fix. My wife wanted to start doing some canning, so I got her a separate backpack sprayer and some treatments for them, but she hasn't done anything with it. I'll probably end up owning this process as well. Until then, the deer can have em.
Tryin to envision Rita with a backpack sprayer on just leads to thoughts of the latest horrible version of Ghostbusters. You better do it

Attachments

• RNhhjKZGT6yxW.gif
    RNhhjKZGT6yxW.gif
    80 KB · Views: 211