Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Garden Thread

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
More than welcome buddy. You need another batch, let me know. Anyone else interested locally, get ahold of me. Have 6-8 rows 250' long. Bi-color is next one ready.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Very nice gesture, I’m sure you’ll have some folks interested.... 👍🏼

Bankfish

First batch of pickles yesterday. Garlic dill with jalapeno and onion. Now the 4-6weeks of waiting begins.
Pumpkins blooms looking pretty this morning TOO.
20200802_074847.jpg
20200802_083513.jpg

So I did some picking in the garden and was surprised how big the cucumbers got. Everything I read I’m thinking they are too big for pickling? They have full formed seeds for the most part. Any recommendations at all?? Was hoping I could still slice them and make dill pickles out of them.

1596400912619.jpeg

So here comes my next issue. I was looking for a dill pre-mix for pickles. Found this Mrs. Wages one step mix that seemed popular on Amazon so I ordered. As I’m reading the directions it’s for quick refrigerator pickles. Doesn’t say on it if it can be used for actual canning. Anyone ever use something like this?

1596401112205.jpeg

Reactions: bowhunter1023

Bankfish

So I did some picking in the garden and was surprised how big the cucumbers got. Everything I read I’m thinking they are too big for pickling? They have full formed seeds for the most part. Any recommendations at all?? Was hoping I could still slice them and make dill pickles out of them.

View attachment 106372
So here comes my next issue. I was looking for a dill pre-mix for pickles. Found this Mrs. Wages one step mix that seemed popular on Amazon so I ordered. As I’m reading the directions it’s for quick refrigerator pickles. Doesn’t say on it if it can be used for actual canning. Anyone ever use something like this?

View attachment 106373
They do look a little large, but you can still use them, just not the best. Not sure about the canning process with packet you have. I've used Mrs wagers before, not that one tho. Try em and let us know. Good luck [emoji106]

Reactions: Big_Holla
They do look a little large, but you can still use them, just not the best. Not sure about the canning process with packet you have. I've used Mrs wagers before, not that one tho. Try em and let us know. Good luck [emoji106]

Thank you Bankfish!! I was thinking last night if I didn't hear from anyone I'd give a few pints a try and see what they turn into. Can't let them go to waste anyway. Was also thinking maybe they'd be better as a relish. Either way I think I need to get some of the pickle crisp granules. My Amazon order for those was pushed back til next week now.

Reactions: Bankfish

Bankfish

Thank you Bankfish!! I was thinking last night if I didn't hear from anyone I'd give a few pints a try and see what they turn into. Can't let them go to waste anyway. Was also thinking maybe they'd be better as a relish. Either way I think I need to get some of the pickle crisp granules. My Amazon order for those was pushed back til next week now.
You can soak them in ice water overnight for the extra crispness as well. Supposedly. Lol. I tried it on my pickles, will have to let you know when I open one.

Reactions: Big_Holla

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Ears are starting to show on 2nd planting at home, no critters yet and the watermelon vines have about 75% of the garden covered now. Getting close to see if they keep the coons out or not.
20200804_080129.jpg

3 good watermelons going at home, 1/2dz. more little ones showing. Property plants are getting big and are staggered a few weeks after the ones at home so fingers crossed for a few good ones

20200804_080104.jpg

20200804_080225.jpg

20200804_080303.jpg

The property plot has benefited from the rain the last few days, forgot to snap a few while over there.

This thread is a nice little notebook to reference next year!