Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Too early for estrus scent?

BCamp

Dayton
Hey guys just want you opinion on if it's too early for using estrus scent? I'm in a Metroparks hunt and my time ends this Sunday at noon so I'm on my last effort. There's a maybe 3-1\2 year old buck that would be my biggest by far bedding in a nearby corn field that comes through every night and I'm trying to coax him out before my times up. Thanks in advance.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I don't like using estrous scents, or any other scent besides evercalm. Just sit all day and hope he follows a doe through.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I put a little full rut lure out yesterday morning on my way to the stand,just dipped a few small twigs in it off a few saplings,saw 6 bucks,nothing big but they kept walking circles around my stand looking for the doe. Lol
If your gonna use it anytime from here on out should be good.

Isaacorps

Columbus
Got a bottle of James Valley Scents Wall Hanger. I’m gonna put a little out and see what happens. That stuff is rank! I’ve never been a big believer in scents but if anything works, this stuff stuff should just based on smell lol

BCamp

Dayton
Thanks for responses guys. Think I'll sit until midday and if nothing comes by by then will hop down and put a little out.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I'm giving the James Valley an honest try in the next few days. I have already put it on a scrape but have not been back to it yet....will this evening.

I have always went on: If you don't like what your getting, change it up.

BCamp

Dayton
Put some on a few trees yesterday and while nothing came right in I saw 5 different bucks between yesterday evening and this morning where usually I'm lucky to see 1. Whether it was the estrus, weather or a combination I don't know.