Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Titling old john boat.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'd did some horse trading a couple years ago and got myself a 10' aluminum john boat and old trolling motor. I have no clue if the motor works. However I do know I didn't get a title for the boat and my uncle didn't get it from the dude he traded with to get the thing back in the late 70's. After hitting up AEP this weekend and realizing without some form of watercraft, your fishing experience is very limited. So that put a little spur in my ass to get this thing sea worthy.

Have any of you been through a similar process in getting legal license/title on something like a john boat for which you have no title?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I don't think you need a title for watercraft under 15'. Go to the office and tell 'em what ya got, they should fix you up. A phone call to the DoW Watercraft Dept may give you a better idea of the procedure. They can be a pain, but never as bad as the BMV!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Make her duck hunting worthy too Jesse!!

She ain't much for that, but I do use it to haul decoys around at our blind. I just tie it off to my waders and put all the dekes in there to set/pick them up. Works well for that. Just not big enough for more than one person and gear. Not to mention she's a little unstable for a guy with no sea legs!

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Does it have an old sticker or somewhere on the boat does it show the HIN number? If you have to go through that process to get a new HIN number, it's a pain in the ass from what i've heard. Has to be inspected by the DNR I believe.

If you have the HIN number and it's under 14ft, you should have no issues at all.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
They're right Jesse. Just go and give them any info you can get on the boat. (Years ago, I done mine at our bait shop but I did have the numbers on the boat) If no info, list it as home made or built. Once you have the registry papers, just mail it back in every 3 years.