Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Thunderflight's 2013/14 Adventures; OPERATION MAKING UP FOR LOST TIME!!!!!!!

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Skunked in Ohio. Slat in the wound was the fact that I only saw three deer while hunting. You l weren't kidding about the herd numbers being down. I here plenty of shooting around me though but it wasn't intense like the regular gun season. There was also a lot of standing corn too so maybe that influenced my hunt too

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Seriously considering revising my Illinois hunting trip. Based off my estimate it'll cost me $800 to hunt Illinois plus four days of driving. Ohio will cost me $450, two days of driving, and I can spend time with my family. Last week I lost access to a property I've hunted since 1995, but gained access to a bigger one in Homer. I think my chances of killing a book class buck are better in Illinois, BUT they aren't that much better. I'm gonna sleep on it, but with this trip only a few weeks away I'm seriously leaning towards coming home.

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
WOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!! Letterkenny Army Depot is open!!!! I'll be headed out Friday night and camping in my truck. I'll probably get there around 2200 and hopefully be one of the first in line when they open the gates at 0330. Bad thing is they don't allow check in until 0500. I guess I'll be drinking lots of coffee. WOOHOOOOOO!!!!!

COB-TY

Retired to the happy hunting grounds above.
Ohio
Pick a spot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Tonight I realized that I'm screwing up and need to revisit my priorities.

When I was planning my 2013/14 season i set goals and even deadlines for goals (i.e. dead animals) I wanted in my freezer. The result of this self absorbed thinking has been a litany of rookie mistakes that only make the frustration of failure worse.

Starting this week I'm going back to the basics and focusing on having a good time vs killing a big buck as soon as possible.

One mistake I definitly need to work on is shooting from an elevated position. Today my focus and release were perfect but when you don't bend at the waist through instinct learned from practice then you'll always miss high.

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
PA doe 2013.JPG

First deer of the 2013 season. That is also the first deer I've shot with my ML at about 100 yards (usually the are much closer) and the first I've shot with a gun and had drop in its tracks. Tracking is so much easier that way. :smiley_crocodile:

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Man I'm hurting. I have atoren meniscus in my right knee and I'm supposed to have surgery on the 20th to fix it. I've been using climbing sticks because the are easier on my back and allow me greater versatility in the type of tree set ups. The down side is the are really tough on my knee. As a result of yesterday's hunt I can barely walk.