Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

This could change things in ohio

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
almost every butcher i know saves hides and sells them throughout the year. but charging someone extra money because of drag marks is dumb when hes already gonna make money on hides. but on the other hand, im friends with a family that quit processing this year because of some of the stupid crap they had to deal with from people. and ive never seen a price list that goes up by weight of deer.

Taxidermyguy

Why does he charge +10 for rub or drag marks on a hide. Is he selling hides to offset costs?
Hides are sold by every processor however they can’t be sold if they are missing hair. They also are only worth about $4. Never have we charged the $10 fee but what it does is gets folks thinking about the potential cost in tearing up a hide. 😊

Reactions: Jackalope

Taxidermyguy

almost every butcher i know saves hides and sells them throughout the year. but charging someone extra money because of drag marks is dumb when hes already gonna make money on hides. but on the other hand, im friends with a family that quit processing this year because of some of the stupid crap they had to deal with from people. and ive never seen a price list that goes up by weight of deer.
Can’t sell the hides and then the processors have to pay to throw them away if there are drag marks and rubs. That’s the reason some charge for tore up hides.

Taxidermyguy

Nah I think you're right. Too much of a cash cow for them to let it go and treat license inspection like a driver's license. He may get the private residence part but I doubt it applies to the business.

Something that doesn't sit right with me on the story he told.

During peak hunting season, Jeremy closes his taxidermy space and works solely on deer processing. After an hour-long inspection in December 2020, an officer asked to enter the closed taxidermy area. Jeremy asked him to return in a few weeks when he had resumed working on taxidermy, and the officer left without objecting.

What taxidermist doesn't take in deer during peak deer season? That's when they build all their work to carry them through season.
I’ll do my best to answer, first no license is required in Ohio for processing or Taxidermy. Most Taxidermy shops are housed in someone’s basement or garage, very close to their family. As for the Taxidermy studio being closed, we have 2 levels to our building. One is where the skinning, caping, and deer processing are carried on (not in the same room but on the same level, lower) The other (Upper) is a Taxidermy showroom and where the mounts are put together. The area where the mounts are put together and the showroom is closed each year during deer season. During the inspection the officer saw the complete area where ALL the skinning, caping and processing were taking place including inside walk-in coolers and freezers. Even saw all the antlers that had come in for that season. So in short the taxidermy work still comes in along with the processing and that was inspected. The “put it together” area was closed, that area was what he was unable to see. Hope this help clear some things up😊

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I’ll do my best to answer, first no license is required in Ohio for processing or Taxidermy. Most Taxidermy shops are housed in someone’s basement or garage, very close to their family. As for the Taxidermy studio being closed, we have 2 levels to our building. One is where the skinning, caping, and deer processing are carried on (not in the same room but on the same level, lower) The other (Upper) is a Taxidermy showroom and where the mounts are put together. The area where the mounts are put together and the showroom is closed each year during deer season. During the inspection the officer saw the complete area where ALL the skinning, caping and processing were taking place including inside walk-in coolers and freezers. Even saw all the antlers that had come in for that season. So in short the taxidermy work still comes in along with the processing and that was inspected. The “put it together” area was closed, that area was what he was unable to see. Hope this help clear some things up😊

I appreciate you taking the time to register and help is understand. . As you can see I am on your side bud. Dig in your heels and protect your liberties my friend.

Tipmoose

Supporting Member
Grove City
A Tennessee court just ruled game wardens must have a warrant to enter private property. Not sure if Ohio will follow suit, but its possible.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I don’t think they would dare to do that stuff here. I think Tennessee has been using the open fields with zero oversight. They won’t stop till Im they get sued like they have. I di t think the institute of justice takes on losing cases in my opinion. I dont know if this will get to court but I think they have some great changes here to set some stuff changed

Reactions: Jackalope

Tipmoose

Supporting Member
Grove City
I figure they will get around it by using drones for surveillance. But at least it will put a stop to creeping around and putting out cams in TN.

P8riot

Carbon, In
How will they know someone is breaking the law without checking them? I could have a cooler full of 14 inch walleyes and until a warden opens it up and measures the fish, I could walk away easily if not kept in check. Random checks like that is what keeps alot of guys honest.
Nevermind...topic was addressed. Wont beat a dead horse. 😁