Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

These Old Guns

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
I posted this in the TOO project thread and it was suggested I start a thread by itself.

I have 3 guns that I want to bring back to some kind of life.

I will try to keep the back story fairly short.

A little over a year ago my brother my Brother gifted me three old guns. They were in really bad shape. They had been in the barn loft for many years. My dad passed away 19 years ago and these guns were his. Well one was originally purchased by my Great-Grandfather and given to my Grand-pa when he was old enough to hunt it is a 1915 Crescent Peerless Double Barrel 16ga. One was given to my dad from my Grand-pa when he was old enough 12ga single shot need to research it more only markings I've seen so far is KK on the side. The last was the one my Brother learned to hunt with not sure of make and model yet as can't see through rust.

All three guns are ones that would have been picked up at your local Hardware store. So they don't have much cash value but the memories they hold are numerous.

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
Last week was the anniversary of my dad's accident so it put a little kick in my butt to get started. I field stripped all 3 guns and putt the barrels in a vinegar bath.

After a good long soak I pulled the barrels out and gave them a good script with a kitchen scrubber and rinsed them with water real good.

I then took out the gun cleaning kit and cleaned the bores real good and oiled all three down so they wouldn't flash rust.

IMG_20200120_174224881.jpg
IMG_20200120_174141961.jpg

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
As you can see from the pictures of the Stocks these guns were well used. Two had started splitting by the trigger housing so they were taped tight with electrical tape. They had both been like that for as long as I can remember.

Reactions: giles

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
After finishing the last coat I polished with steel wool rinsed and coated with Perma Barrier. It will now sit to cure for 24 hours.

I turned my attention to the stock and fore grip. Upon trackers advice I soaked both in Acetone for a while to remove grease and oil build up.

You can see on the fore grip the difference soaking made.

IMG_20200126_113743049.jpg
IMG_20200126_120114814.jpg