Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The top five big 8’s

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Ill throw this 6 and 8 into the mix.. They are Jersey deer so theydon't compare to most of the deer posted here.. But the 6 was kinda special...

It was taken on Oct. 19, 1982... It was shortly after 8 am when I heard walking and saw this guy comming, but he was going to pass behind me.. Now Im up 20 ft. In my Baker with no safety belt on.. As he passes the tree I lean out on one leg and kinda wrap the other around the tree all in one motion while drawing the bow.. I was shooting fingers and soon as I anchored I released and the Easton 2117 tipped with a Savora Super S found its mark. He ran about 45 yds and tipped over... I was in a contest at a well known archery shop in Jersey called: Butts and Bows.. ( Im sure Sgt Fury knows of it )... Im guessing there were over 500 people in this contest... My buck weighed 185 dressed and ended up taking 3rd place... I won a black bear trip to Canada... To top all that... My brother had back surgery the day before and wanted to see it.. So off to the hospital I went... I pulled up to the front entrance opened the tail gate and pulled him out a little as he looked out his window... Boy I think back to that stunt with a Baker and get chills...
View attachment 74124View attachment 74125
HAHAHAHAHAHA, love it Rich!!!!! Enjoyed that short writeup, picturing you driving up to the main entrance at a hospital and dropping the tailgate in full camo(I hope!) gave me a big ole chuckle...😂🤣😂

Thanks for sharing those nice deer too👍🏻

Reactions: Sgt Fury
I got this 8 two years ago during gun. Stalked up on him laying with a doe. Watched him breed her 3 times when they finally got up. Best hunt I’ve ever had. Longest tine only 7.5” and grossed 143”. Who cares though. He was heavy and big 8’s are coolest deer I think. Put my buddy on another big 8 in same section last year in muzzleloader. Grossed 145” with the broken brow. Funny thing he broke the same brow at same spot the year before.
Some impressive deer posted. Awesome to see the pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Net or gross. I don't care. 140" is a big 8pt. I think many people fail to realize just how special those 150-160" 8pts are. So many big deer killed anymore and posted online, we get numb to hearing 150-160". But. . . . if we are talking 140-160" 8pts. . . . That is really impressive to me.