Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The proverbial light bulb just went off

@Creamer

Instead of using knee pads, I made a foam cushion like the one in the video (except I didn't cut it down). It works really well and I actually place it between my sticks and backpack and it rides their nicely. I already had the bungy and the pad so I didn't even have to buy anything. Also worked out nice as I still hunted late morning and I used the pad to sit down on the ground in a couple of places.

Creamer

Athens
The combination of the stimulus money, a coupon code for Tethrd, and sheer desire to get one led this box to my door today.

I had to at least get it on a tree and see how it felt. Which was...great. Rock solid, quick to attach, light weight. I also put some silencing cloth tape where I could, mainly the metal-metal contact points and buckle, to silence it.

Creamer

Athens
I did some much-needed work on the straps on my old hand-me-down Tree Saddle. Before, it was a pile of confusing dry-rotted elastic straps that were not remotely tight. *Note: these straps are only for wearing the saddle in/out, they are not weight bearing while in the tree at all.

I cut the old straps off and salvaged the buckles I needed to keep the new straps adjustable.

The new strapping is 1.5" black nylon webbing. So much simpler, so much easier to put on, still comfortable and functional.

Reactions: Jackalope

Creamer

Athens
Interesting. I always thought people attached them to their harness. I didn’t realize you carried it separate.

Depends on the hunt, for me. If it's a close/short walk to reach where I am hunting, I'll wear it in. If it's a longer hike in, or just really warm weather and I'm worried about overheating, I can pack mine into my backpack and put it on when I get there. These straps just hold it in place until I get attached to the tree with the lineman's belt.

Reactions: giles