Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The Official UTV thread

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Let's start it. I am shopping. What do you have? Why do you like it? Would you do it again or purchase a different one? This will be a good thread for anyone shopping. We can keep it alive whether guys are looking for sport models or work models and have one reference.

Personally? I am looking for a work model. Reliability, payload, resale value, are my main concerns. As with anything, cost is another issue. I will NOT drop $12-14-16-20k on one of these. This limits my choices. I may have to go used if I choose the Kubota RTV route. Rhino doesn't have the work payloads I am looking for. In the new department, sub $10000, I am limited to base model Mule, maybe base model Big Red, and probably the Club Car Pioneer.

Let's hear it.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Sorry that none of these pics really show the ranger doing work but its a workhorse. I've hauled and pulled some heavy stuff with it. A couple weeks ago I pulled a dead 900 pound heifer through a field with 2 dead calves in the bed no problem. I've pulled 30 ft telephone poles. I've had 300-400 pounds of lumber and tools loaded on it and drove it up some nice hills with that load. This bastard won't get stuck, it'll walk through 2 ft deep mud pits. And the price is under $10,000. Its a polaris ranger 500EFI. 2013 (which is what ours is) was the last year for the 500. They now have a 570EFI for the same price.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1395696690730.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1395696690730.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 182
  • uploadfromtaptalk1395696770842.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1395696770842.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 170
  • uploadfromtaptalk1395696831919.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1395696831919.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 161

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
If you have any more questions just ask Phil. I highly recommend polaris though. There's so many attachments you can put on them. Plus ours tops out at around 50 mph, where as other models don't come close to that. It also has one wheel drive (turf mode), 2 wheel and 4 wheel drive, high and low gears.

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good testimony Chad. Thanks. I hesitate to look into the Polaris lineup simply because I have had Polaris jet skiis. You couldn't keep them running. Nearly everyone I know who has had Polaris quads. . . money pits. I know one of the local farmers bought a new Polaris UTV a couple years ago and had major engine problems. Makes me nervous to consider them.

After looking into the $8000 range new UTV's I am finding most have a bed payload in the 4-600lb range. Not sure that is going to cut it. Started checking the Honda Big Red 700 and it is in the price range with higher payload. The Club Car/Pioneer dealer down the road just lost my business. I was set on one of them with specs he gave me over the phone. 950cc $8000 and 800lb payload. Dumb ass local dealer was wrong. Payload is 425lbs. Resale value on them makes me a little nervous as well. Called local motorcycle dealer where my neighbor is the Sales Manager. He told me he has a left over 2013 Mule 4010 diesel for $11400. Tempting. If I am forced to jump into the $10000 ball park to meet my specs, $11400 for the diesel would be tough to turn down. Downside? I had $6000 set back for my UTV fund. Was willing to drop another $2000 out of pocket for a new one. I really don't want to drop $5-6000 additional. Maybe a new one with big down payment at a dealer and nice financing plan in the 0-3% neighborhood for 36-48months would work. I could justify $100/mo for a few years. Problem now is deciding what is the best fit for me at a price I can swallow. Used Kubota RTV's I have found from $7000 on up but I can't justify dropping $7-9000 on a 5yr old UTV anymore than I can justify dropping $15k on a new one. ugh

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Phil, don't forget that you can hook a trailer on it and haul more than you could in your bed. They all have hitches anymore.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Phil, don't forget that you can hook a trailer on it and haul more than you could in your bed. They all have hitches anymore.

I hooked my old 5 by 8' and hauled a shitload of plywood up the hill at our land a couple times. It pulled it with no problem.

Last edited:

Huckleberry Finn

There is a reason why there are not a lot of Gators on the used market - people love 'em.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/grq/4321622680.html
2013, 51 hrs. 4wd. Diesel. $7895. Deere's website says that the payload is 1500 lbs (twice of what you mentioned).

--

Never ran a Bobcat UTV, but I've heard people speak highly of them? Would your skidsteer dealer have one you could take a spin in for a weekend?

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Dad has one of the new Gator 850 Trail SxS and that thing is a beast! Like Huck mentioned, it can handle a load, comes with great stock tires, and has some of the best suspension money can buy in Fox Shocks. Not sure what the price tag is, but if you are looking for a workhorse, you might consider one.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Mine has a 1000 pound payload with 1250 pound towing, its just a mid size model. Full size rangers give you higher numbers.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
There is a reason why there are not a lot of Gators on the used market - people love 'em.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/grq/4321622680.html
2013, 51 hrs. 4wd. Diesel. $7895. Deere's website says that the payload is 1500 lbs (twice of what you mentioned).

--

Never ran a Bobcat UTV, but I've heard people speak highly of them? Would your skidsteer dealer have one you could take a spin in for a weekend?

Payload capacity 1754lb. Towing capacity 1300lb. Not sure how this equates to what you can put in the bed and didn't see it on their website. If gross payload is 1754, I am sure it is plenty for what I need though. Thanks.

Looked at some used/older Bobcat UTVs as well. The older ones look like they don't have much ground clearance and resemble Clubcar work vehicles. Payload numbers look good, but a Clubcar Carryall seems to be more of a 4x4 golf cart on roids. Haven't looked into the newer ones yet. Not a bad idea there either. I know Kioti makes their tractors and rebrands them under the Ingersoll Rand Bobcat name. Be interesting to find out who makes their UTVs.

Greg- Those Sport UTV's are pretty sweet looking! Is that the one that runs 53mph? Wicked mean! 25mph is plenty fast for me for a work UTV. lol

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Yeah, it will scoot! I've never had it close to top speed though, just too much on those gravel roads, especially with your old man screaming from the passenger seat. lol

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I know very little about these things. My FIL has one of the John Deere models. It's a big one, he likes it for what he does. Sean had a few different UTV's. He like the Rangers the best, by far. Those things are awesome, we never did get one stuck and he had zero trouble with them. From what I could tell, they were built like tanks. Mrex has had several as well, and I believe he likes the Rangers the best.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Ditto, if payload is your major issue. Happy shopping Phil!

Where I need to do the most heavy work, a trailer isn't helpful. I need to carry as much firewood as possible in the bed to reduce trips when a truck or skid loader can't get in/out.

Thanks for the link Huck. It is sold. They have a 2010 with 463hrs for $6800. More in my price range. Bit higher on hours. Seem to be highest payload for displacement though. The crossover models like Fluteman's dad has look fun as heck. Not what I need though. I just need a work horse.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Dad has a Kubota RTV 900 and it is a work horse. I like Rhinos and the Rangers for a middle of the road work/play vehicle. When I get a UTV, it will be one of those.

That said, you will not regret the Kubota. Huge payload, hydrolic dump bed, built like a tank and will hold value. I've used it to haul 600 pounds of shell corn in the bed and you don't notice its there. Well worth the coin IMO.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks Jesse. Any transmission issues? I was thinking JD had shifting issues. My buddy just bought one cheap because it had shifting issues. The cheap used ones, this seems to be the reason they are cheaper. Makes me nervous, but man do they seem to be beasts!