Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The Hunting Public

Bigcountry40

They're all employees of THP, along with additional freelance work. Obviously it's not the highest paying gig, so you skimp on the nice things to be able to live the dream.
No real judgement here, I hope they make it big, I think they are really ballsy driving those cars on the back roads of Nebraska and other places. I had a experience getting stuck on state land in SC in my 2 wheel ranger drive ranger. Steve Rinella's brother drives his llama van around the back roads of Montana when there is snow on the ground , which I also think is nuts.

They have stepped up the vehicle game. I listened to a podcast that explained how they make money, but I don't remember what they said. Kinda like a turkey podcast🤣

There is some pretty good money to be made on Youtube with advertisements. It takes a lot of time and effort to grow the channel as you need good content to keep people clicking on your videos. That being said that money is being split between some people so they got to really make $$ to keep things going.

Buckkillr

Athens
They did a show just on how they make money, they have a main media company, can't remember the name and THP falls under that. They're hired to do all sorts of things like coming to people's land and showing how to hunt it, workshops etc. Youtube, Instagram etc all pay money for advertising so I doubt there broke, I think it's more there marketing to appear that way and it works.
Heck there's some little kid that opens and trys out toys on youtube making millions a year but they have millions of subscribers vrs THP's few hundred thousand

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
The Woodsguys, Inc. is their merch company and I'm sure they do well on that stuff. My guess is they run all their cash flow through that and THP is just a brand, but it could be a stand-alone business entity too. I get the impression that Ted and Jake particularly, aren't the type of guys that have to have the latest and greatest. You'll notice Ted drives a beater, but wears Crispis, so he's putting his $ wear it matters most to him. By the time you hunt 15+ states, even if you were making good $, the old bank account is gonna reflect all those licenses and tags!

Buckkillr

Athens
And fuel!

Zach was saying just the other week that the truck he bought last season has over 40,000 miles on it now.
Yeah that's a new truck every 4 years 😳, maybe Chevy dealer gave it to him. Either way they have alot of tax write offs per year, helps!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
And a Decked system. If I interpreted what he said when he talked about buying it is he's effectively "homeless" in the fact that he doesn't have a mortgage or a lease, so the truck payment is all he has. He was living with his aunt and uncle in Colorado between deer and turkey season, which is probably a cost savings to him. Honestly, looking back on my 20s, it bums me out I didn't live a similar life. Very well could have...

Bigcountry40

And a Decked system. If I interpreted what he said when he talked about buying it is he's effectively "homeless" in the fact that he doesn't have a mortgage or a lease, so the truck payment is all he has. He was living with his aunt and uncle in Colorado between deer and turkey season, which is probably a cost savings to him. Honestly, looking back on my 20s, it bums me out I didn't live a similar life. Very well could have...
You make some great points, people get so caught up chasing the all mighty dollar and give up their souls to a job that will literally replace them in minute if something were to happen to them. I encourage a lot of students to chase their dreams or live as free as possible, as long as they do not have bills, children, family, etc that they are responsible for. Living as a transient public hunting Gypsy would of been a great experience especially since the economy sucked pretty much for a majority of our 20's.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Once these boys all get married off, their motivations, hunts, gear and ads will change...Just like every last mother's sons of us! Wives and kids change directions....always!
Zach will be running through the woods with his daughter in a papoose and stopping to change camo diapers or sharing his Gerber and Lunchables!
True, but in the meantime we’ll be living vicariously through them....

When I was 23 I went out west for a month with a couple buddies to travel, see the sights, hunt and fish. We left in September. We came back to Pa. to hunt, then headed to Canaan Valley WV for a week. Next we headed up to NY for hunting then back to Pa. to finish out the hunting season! We had a brief Christmas break then headed up to Canada to fish perch and walleye for a couple weeks. Let me tell you, at the end of that marathon we were whipped!
And we weren't editing content in our down time! during that 4+ month period we probably worked less than 1 month total!
If I had to do it all over, I would! But to do it for a living?!?! Of course we didn't have energy drinks, unless you count Stroh's, Coor's and Molson's in that category.

Buckkillr

Athens
When I was 23 I went out west for a month with a couple buddies to travel, see the sights, hunt and fish. We left in September. We came back to Pa. to hunt, then headed to Canaan Valley WV for a week. Next we headed up to NY for hunting then back to Pa. to finish out the hunting season! We had a brief Christmas break then headed up to Canada to fish perch and walleye for a couple weeks. Let me tell you, at the end of that marathon we were whipped!
And we weren't editing content in our down time! during that 4+ month period we probably worked less than 1 month total!
If I had to do it all over, I would! But to do it for a living?!?! Of course we didn't have energy drinks, unless you count Stroh's, Coor's and Molson's in that category.
I've never been gone that long but we use to go to Oregon every year and spend 2 weeks in the woods chasing elk for miles and only getting a shower every 3-4 days at a campground an hour away, after a week, hunting meant finding a place where elk could be and sleeping til dark 😴

Bigcountry40

Two of my Children are currently home sick throwing up, so I am stuck home watching tv, naturally I return to the series and currently watching 2020 season. As I have picked up some ideas and tips from these guys, I believe their hunting style is very unrealistic for the average joe working hunting public land. Hunting public land being their jobs, the group spends much of their time scouting and hunting, not feasible for anyone with a job or family. They hunt in groups or work as a team, giving them advantages during stalks a solo public hunter does not have. I wonder if there has been increase of bow hunters trying to copy this style walking quietly through the woods trying to stalk bucks in c r p fields? I also wonder what their rate of success is with these public land stalks, seems like they get busted an awful lot.

Reactions: Mike

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I think they highlight how possible and feasible it is to do an out of state, public DIY style hunt. Now, I'm guessing the average guy probably wont go to the extents that they do. But if your willing to invest the time, they prove you can be successful

Reactions: Mike and giles