Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The Butchering Thread

Bowkills

Nw oh
image.jpeg
So time to look at what's left in the freezer to see what I need to harvest this season. I made several batches of ss sausage last winter. My last batch I wasn't overly impressed, not enough fat and could have used a smidge more moisture ,seasoning was fine. It went into the back of the freezer until now. I thawed a 2lb chunk after searching through what's left and we started slicing it yesterday after school, it's gone. It always gets better after sitting to bloom after cooking , and better yet after freezing and thawing in my opinion. Anyway if any home ss cookers have a not up to standards batch don't give it to your dog after first initial tasting could just use some time, maybe even freezer time not just bloom.....

Jamie

Ohio
you're right, there isn't enough fat in that sausage. there is no such thing as lean sausage that is actually good. gotta have the right amount of fat. if you don't mix venison with about 35% fat when making sausage, you are wasting venison, imho.

Bowkills

Nw oh
you're right, there isn't enough fat in that sausage. there is no such thing as lean sausage that is actually good. gotta have the right amount of fat. if you don't mix venison with about 35% fat when making sausage, you are wasting venison, imho.
I tried using 85%deer in that batch just to make it a bit healthier. A local guy that's worked for the large name brand processed meat producers gave me some tips years ago. The main tip that always stands true, the main flavor of a good product comes from fat and salt. It's extremely true. I wouldn't be ashamed to serve this to a crowd, my kids eat a freaking pound a day if it's in the fridge, so not wasting of this batch. Next one will be better though.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Man, I’ve gotta try that @bowhunter1023. At first glance, it looks like the shanks shriveled up pretty small. Would it be worthwhile to remove the shanks prior to aging, so you could use them in another way?

I should have taken them off first. Typically, I do. But I was in a hurry and left them on and just let 'em ride. May have been 35-40% "loss" there, but I put all the "jerky" in with the bones for making stock, so it worked out. I'll definitely take them off from now on though.

These aged on racks, but I ordered meat hooks and will be adding a bar to hang quarters from, and I'll have a rack in the bottom for backstraps. Having an extra fridge has been super convenient for those early season kills and it's allowed me to experiment with aging venison. 28 days is definitely a good time frame IMO.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I should have taken them off first. Typically, I do. But I was in a hurry and left them on and just let 'em ride. May have been 35-40% "loss" there, but I put all the "jerky" in with the bones for making stock, so it worked out. I'll definitely take them off from now on though.

These aged on racks, but I ordered meat hooks and will be adding a bar to hang quarters from, and I'll have a rack in the bottom for backstraps. Having an extra fridge has been super convenient for those early season kills and it's allowed me to experiment with aging venison. 28 days is definitely a good time frame IMO.
My brother just started working at a major local appliance manufacturer and gets a significant discount on appliances. Once we find a new house, one of the first things on my "to buy" list is a large garage refrigerator. It'll be retrofitted with a bar or two, as well as stainless steel hooks. I can't wait to have a spot to stash deer quarters when it's warm outside.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Make a brine water salt pink salt sugar, (cloves coriander garlic ect can be added) let wet soak and cure, so many days per pound rotate some, corned venison. Imersion curing. Deer ham. I'll cube it up can it with potatoes and onions for hash.
Been contemplating doing this for years. You can buy commercial stuff from Cabelas that I considered

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I took the first deer i ever shot to a processor and got totally ripped off. I've done my own ever since. Its become one of my favorite parts of the season. Theres no need to go invest a big wad of cash all at once, pick up pieces of equipment over time at garage sales, swap meets, flea markets... even dropping hints around xmas and birthday time can get you a good score.

Absolute must haves to get started, a big cutting surface, and a good sharp boning knife. I wrap my good cuts in plastic wrap and then freezer paper. I was given a food saver as a gift a couple years ago, but I still prefer my old plastic and paper. Grind meat and jerky cuts get stuffed into gallon size zip lock freezer bags. I can usually get approximately 5 lbs to a bag.

A good video or two are great resources as well. Even if you only need it to know where to find unwanted glands and to identify particular cuts.

Then you can start picking up what ever equipment suits you. I prefer dehydrator for making jerkey, some like to use the oven or a smoker. I did invest in a grinder (which im gonna need to get back from Adam) and a 15 lb sausage stuffer. I wouldn't mind a slicer, but a jerky board works fine for now. Adam did score a couple old refrigerators last year, and I gotta tell you, that is the shit! I was able to quarter and hang my doe this year and get it butchered when I had time. Next one is gonna hang a bit longer like jesses.

I'll probably try the corning as well

As far as jerky and sausage, my favorite resource is waltons inc. Everything you need, tools, equipment, seasonings, casings, ... you name it. One of the cheapest places I've found for quality high temperature cheese for sausage

Bowkills

Nw oh
I took the first deer i ever shot to a processor and got totally ripped off. I've done my own ever since. Its become one of my favorite parts of the season. Theres no need to go invest a big wad of cash all at once, pick up pieces of equipment over time at garage sales, swap meets, flea markets... even dropping hints around xmas and birthday time can get you a good score.

Absolute must haves to get started, a big cutting surface, and a good sharp boning knife. I wrap my good cuts in plastic wrap and then freezer paper. I was given a food saver as a gift a couple years ago, but I still prefer my old plastic and paper. Grind meat and jerky cuts get stuffed into gallon size zip lock freezer bags. I can usually get approximately 5 lbs to a bag.

A good video or two are great resources as well. Even if you only need it to know where to find unwanted glands and to identify particular cuts.

Then you can start picking up what ever equipment suits you. I prefer dehydrator for making jerkey, some like to use the oven or a smoker. I did invest in a grinder (which im gonna need to get back from Adam) and a 15 lb sausage stuffer. I wouldn't mind a slicer, but a jerky board works fine for now. Adam did score a couple old refrigerators last year, and I gotta tell you, that is the shit! I was able to quarter and hang my doe this year and get it butchered when I had time. Next one is gonna hang a bit longer like jesses.

I'll probably try the corning as well

As far as jerky and sausage, my favorite resource is waltons inc. Everything you need, tools, equipment, seasonings, casings, ... you name it. One of the cheapest places I've found for quality high temperature cheese for sausage
I've taken one deer to the butcher shop 20 years ago the rest have been home done for me. Between cuts canning Corning ground and treats you can never get enough deer meat!!!!