Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The Butchering Thread

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I don't have the bandsaw to do a pig justice. Ribs, chops, shoulders, I like my pork bone-in. Butchering with vacuum sealing is around 95 cents a pound +kill fee around here. Still a good deal but you'll need to time your appointment and pig purchase unless you want to hold on to that pig for a week or two.

Reactions: bowhunter1023

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
My nephew raises beef and offered me a 350lb heifer that had a bad knee that locked up in the rear. She wadnt gaining any weight at all. So Greyson and I headed over and put her down and brought her home. Hung her up and dissected and quartered her up. Wrapped in saran wrap and aging in fridge for a week.
20200509_102302.jpg
20200509_093125.jpg

nathan.luthman

Supporting Member
How about a hog? Anyone with experience butchering a hog? I'm considering doing one.
We butcher all our own meat. With that being said we have some pretty damn nice equipment. You can do a hog without much equipment. Basically just a meat grinder and stuffer.
The basic breakdown is the same as a deer loin etc... If you plan on doing casing sausage the last I bought casing it was around $30. But it will do roughly 2 hogs. We only grind sausage once with a larger die(3/16- 1/4).

Reactions: hickslawns

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
About to pick this up today at kohl’s. I didn’t know they had em”. After receiving coupons in mail from kohl’s for 30% off. I decided to use it for food saver vacuum sealer. Original price for 149.99 and get it for $119.99 by using the coupon.

Reactions: OhioWhiteTails

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
About to pick this up today at kohl’s. I didn’t know they had em”. After receiving coupons in mail from kohl’s for 30% off. I decided to use it for food saver vacuum sealer. Original price for 149.99 and get it for $119.99 by using the coupon.
Got a link or pic?

Reactions: MoonLab