Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

" that's more like a stage"...

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
For some years now, I have wanted a deck outside my back door. Somewhere I could sit and enjoy my back yard.This year, I finally had enough of my nearly 100-year-old cement, sandstone and tile porch.

1.jpg

One morning a small pile of PT4 x 4’s showed up.

1.jpg

One morning a small pile of PT4 x 4’s showed up.

0.5.jpg

I laid out various sizes and shapes. The south end of the yard had a slight downward grade but it would still only be 2-3 foot off the ground. So with the "help" of my 5 year old grandson, we began. The edges of the old porch had been falling apart for some time, implying an easy demolition…

2.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

Then we hit the cinder blocks, cement and rebar.

9.jpg
10.jpg

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
The blocks broke up easily but the cement and rebar was horrible. The sledge barely bade a dent with each blow. Eventually a small jack hammer was borrowed. The tile deck was also surprisingly hard but I discovered it was sitting on dirt, cinders and the blocks. The rebar was bent into a couple of hooks and I bullied the whole thing off the landing with the big tractor. I could skid it but not lift it. It really pushed the tractor to its limit.

11.75.jpg

Revealing some wood rot needing attention first from many years of water, snow and ice draining back towards the house.

11.5.jpg

The 3 grandkids aged 4,4 and 5 were instantly drawn the the old tile deck and immediately moved in.

(Such fond memories I have of being a kid in the summer like that.)

16.jpg
17.jpg

13.jpg
14.jpg

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
The yellow clay was slow going but we got the post hole digger on the tractor to hit the depth each time.
( With the help of a old fat guy adding weight to the bit...)

19.jpg
19.jpg

As we started hanging the timber, it became painfully apparent more of the damn cement would have to broken down to make room for the beams. (That sucked)

21.jpg

The next phase went as expected.

23.jpg
25.jpg

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
27.jpg

28.jpg

I like the “Picture frame” design for a border.

29.5.jpg

29.jpg

Finally, the decking. It’s a 12’ x 31’ deck but the 16’ planking was .98 cents cheaper than the 12’. So, I came up with a plan for the 4’ overage.

31.25.jpg

A call was made to pick it in the morning.

37.jpg
38.jpg

Attachments

• 32.jpg
    32.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 153

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
51.jpg

52.jpg

53.jpg

It needs to weather before I seal/stain it.
I took 3 different lumber placed to pull all I needed to do this.

My plan before winter is to do away with the picture window in the middle of the deck and door to its left and replace it with a large sliding door.

Last edited: