Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Test Driving my new Ravin R10

The weather finally cooperated enough for me to get out and take a few longer shots with my Ravin R10. :cool: I'm very impressed with the accuracy and distances beyond what I'd ever thought possible. The single arrow target photo is the first shot I took at 40 yards. The double arrow target photo is 60 yards on the left and 70 yards on the right. The orange target centers are 1" in diameter, for reference. It's nice to know the capability of this weapon, but I don't honestly know if I'll ever take a shot beyond 40 or 50 yards. Just the same, it's nice to know it's there if all else fails. (y) No Free Pass for the coyotes! (n)

Attachments

• Hurricane 1.jpg
    Hurricane 1.jpg
    328.4 KB · Views: 152
  • Hurricane 2.jpg
    Hurricane 2.jpg
    360.5 KB · Views: 152
At 400 fps, you'd have to do the math for the distance. Just the same, I can't see the arrow in flight, for the first 30 yards or so. Plenty of critter killing speed for sure and for certain. 😎
All of the 400 fps crossbow videos that I've seen, that were killing deer...even in slow motion, the deer hardly flinch before they're hit. 👍
I would imagine a relaxed animal wouldn't have any better reaction time at longer distances.

Bowhunter57

Reactions: Redhunter1012
I wasn't trying to imply that it wouldn't work. I was saying that the mental part for me is hard. I have the same problem with long distance rifle shooting. I swear I missed the target completely, then 12 minutes later it hits. Lol
I shot my 44 mag. pistol at a 120 yard scrap pipe sticking out of the ground and heard Ha! Missed!! Then clank! They shot at that pipe all afternoon before declaring it a dumb luck shot. i pulled my gun back out shot again and missed just left. Third shot hit it again and I put it away knowing that dumb luck had happened twice. But you are so right the delay is amazing!

I wasn't trying to imply that it wouldn't work. I was saying that the mental part for me is hard. I have the same problem with long distance rifle shooting. I swear I missed the target completely, then 12 minutes later it hits. Lol
giles,
I completely understand where you're coming from with the long range shooting "anxiety". Any type of long range shooting requires frequent practice, because it's a diminishing skill. Rifle shooting, out to 500 yards is a skill set that requires good discipline for trigger control, breathing, sight picture, etc.....and beyond 500 yards can be doubled for what it requires. :rolleyes: It's a form of the same "target panic" experienced with a vertical bow.
I hope to conquer me, some day and become a better shooter. :)

BTW.... I had my R10 in a Bogpod Deathgrip tripod, while shooting it. There's no way I could make those shots free handed.

Bowhunter57

Love my R10 but still enjoy carrying and shooting my compound. I'm waiting for the new Burris range finder/scope details and may add one to my R10 if the reviews are good. I change my sting every other year and never had any problems.

Reactions: Bowhunter57