Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Team 11

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Good luck this weekend and be safe. I plan on easy morning and afternoon hunts setting in my new man cave hunting tower. I haven't got my easy chair moved in yet as I made the damn door too narrow. I do have one of my plastic chair bottoms mounted on a swivel boat stem plus a folding camp chair.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Anybody got anything good on camera worth chasing yet?

I haven't pulled my camera chip. Everytime I go there for something else I forgot the lock key. I really don't expect much there as the pipeline construction is only 100 yds. away. They are final grading and hopefully planting. Then the fencing crew will be in later. The last time the other pipeline went through the fencing crew installed the neighbors fence during gun season.
I'm hoping for better luck on my food plot and neighbor's hay field I have permission to hunt out of my new tower. That's were I'll be setting at 6:30AM.

Good luck to everyone going out and be safe.

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
I haven't checked my cams in awhile. I wont check them now unless i'm walking by them on my way to hunt. I have pic's of some pretty nice bucks this year though. Hope to see them while hunting. I'm not going to hunt till proly next weekend. Good luck guys.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Hate to say it but Team 19 which is alternates just got put together and is LOADED with big buck killers!!!! Did have one of my yearly visitors finally show back up. Prob wont hunt him until late Oct when he moves during daylight though.

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
Any of you guys been hunting yet? I was going to go down to the farm this weekend but its going to be to hot for me. Was thinking maybe next weekend but its the doe only weekend. May have to site in the ml and try for some meat. I'll hit it harder come November. Good luck guys.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I hunted the first 2 days and seen 5 does and yearlyings and past on a doe. I have to be out of town this weekend for a gunshow and didn't have time to process it. Be hitting it hard next week.
I'm picking up a new sight for my bow today. I installed a new Tru-Glo green dot on my bow but I've started having cataracts and I see 2-3 dot instead of one so I never know which dot is real. The dots are never the same each time I look through the sight. I liked the sight real well but it's not going to work for me.
I can get IQ retina lock sights at wholesale so I went with a 7 pin as the 5 pin sights were out of stock. I'll let you know how I like it when installed.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Been trying to put a solid mid 50's down but he's been winning every time. Been seeing a decent number of does, but still trying to get an arrow in the pig!

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I decided to hunt the early ML season today. The 2 grandsons weren't interested in shooting a doe as their 1st deer with a ML. I couldn't get ahold of the neighbor to take him out. So I had promised the neighbors I would shoot them a deer for letting me hunt on their property.
I really don't have my heart in it but I'll tough it out. Hunting out of my new tower and I just put up a office chair up there yesterday so it'll be comfy to say the least.
I just hope a nice buck doesn't show up. Oh I won't shoot it but on 2nd thought it would be nice to take a picture of one.
Going to use my smokeless TC Encore 45 caliber ML. 1st time for smokeless and using a jacketed bullet in a sabot.

Update.
I passed on a doe at 82 yds. at 9:30AM as I didn't want my hunt to end so early. There'll no passed shot tomorrow.
Seen 5 total and over 50 turkeys at one time.

Last edited:

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Well team Members I got us on the board with some doe points.
I hunted another all day today. After passing on the nice doe at 82 yds. yesterday I really had second thoughts today. The wind turned around and was out of the NE and gusting. I really need a SW wind to hunt out of my new tower. But I thought what the hell as I was all smoked up. Well I sat there all day from 6:45AM all day and only seen about 24 turkeys. The wind died down about 5:00PM.
Just like clock work at 6:20PM I see a deer on the West end of the hay field about 100 yds. away. To see there I have to look through tree limbs. Then I see 2 deer and both are yearlings. Then I see 3 and finally I see the 4th deer. They are probably the same 4 deer I passed on yesterday morning.
The largest doe keeps putting her head up into the air and smelling for scent. But she's 120 yds. away and it appears my smoking scent control is working just fine. I did have my Deer Herd Calm drag hanging under my tower. The 2 yearlings feed towards me and get to 80 yds. but the 2 does hang up at 110 yds. according to my Bushnell rangefinder.
The largest doe keeps putting her head up into the air and looking my way but always goes back to feeding. I figurer I'm running out of time so I must decide to shoot or not. I get out of my chair and get on my knees so I can use the window sill as a rest. I'll be damn if I didn't get a muscle spasm in my left thigh. I take anti-muscle spasm medication because of my MS every 12 hrs. and I'm due for another dose. I rub my leg and get the spasm to relax mostly. I rest on the window sill and the largest doe is 102 yds. and perfect broadside shot. I have the Redfield scope on 9 power. I'm shooting a TC Encore 45-70 barrel that I had a TC high pressure breach plug threaded into the chamber area to make it a smokeless ML. I shoot a 40 Caliber 200 gr. plastic tip ML bullet.
I take a carefull aid and shoot. All 4 deer put their heads up and look around. The doe I just shoot at just looks around. None of the deer run or nothing.
What the hell I missed? Well all 4 deer are looking my way and I can't move or they will see me. I reach down with my right hand and start digging for my ML reloads. All the deer go back to feeding as if nothing happened. Then I remember earlier in the day I had my rifle leaning against the other chair and it fell over. I didn't think anything of it as the tower floor is carpeted with a thick pad under the carpet. I must have knocked the scope off.
I reloaded and took a more steady rest and shoot again. This time the doe I shot at ran about 20 ft. and just stood there and in 10 minutes goes back to feeding.
I reload for the 3rd time. I figure I must be hitting lower so I put the crosshair dot right on the doe's spine and take a shot. At the shot the doe ran to the right with her tail tucked between her legs so I knew I had a good hit. So I took off my heavy sweater and get my flashlight out as it's going to be dark soon.
I waited 15 minutes to give her a chance to bleed out. After I shot I recalled exactly where she was standing and where she ran into the brush. I walked across the field to where I figured she was standing at the shot. No blood sign. I followed her exit path to where she entered the brush and still no blood sign. I was sorta getting worried but I keep recalling she had her tail tucked between her legs when she ran away and that's always a sure sign of a fatal hit.
I entered the brush and walk sideways and no blood sign. It's pretty dark now and I shine the light around ahead of me and I see a white belly. I hit right where I aimed and had a double lung hit but it was at the very top of the lungs is the reason there was no blood sign. She had blood coming out of her mouth.
I drug her out into the field and started towards the tower. I got about 50 yds. and my back was starting to hurt from the dragging. I called my son to bring the tractor down. But my 16 yr. old grandson told my son I'll help grandpa. He showed up and we finished dragging it to the tower where he had the golfcart parked. We tied behind the golfcart and drug it to the creek and left it there. We went up and go the tractor. That way I can raise the tractor 3 pt. up and have a waist high work area for field dressing and don't have to stoop over.
What a fun weekend and I got my 1st deer with my new smokeless ML I'll re-check the scope setting to see if it's off or not.
I loaded up the doe and stopped at the neighbor to show them the deer I got for them for letting me hunt on their property. They were thrilled to say the least. The doe is being prossessed now.

Last edited: