Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Team 11

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I hunted my woods for the 1st time this year. I called and rattled in a small forkhorn buck about 9:00. Wind started gusting 15-20 MPH and I called it quits at 11:00.
Hit it again in the morning.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I hunted in my woods today in the same ladder stand. I had a small 8 pt. go through and way too small to shot.
At 10:50 a small 10 pt. went through on the trail but he only had about 8-10 in. horns. He should be a dandy in couple years.
Following him about 50 yds. back was a shooter buck. He stopped behind a tree limb with leaves at 20 yds. smelling the air. He walked forward couple steps and smelled again. When in the clearing he turned off the trail and walked straight towards me. Now I don't like that. At 14 yds. he turns to the left and I left him have it.
The shot was a little high due to him being so close. When he ran away I saw the arrow sticking out about 6 in.
I did a complete writeup in the Bow Hunting forum under Franks 1st bow buck.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Great buck Frank!!!! That's a stud buddy!!! I'm struggling this year to find a shooter, posted a few pics from a recent card pull but nothing that tickles my fancy yet!

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Good luck to you Team members as it looks like it's starting to get busy out there. I'm done with 2 deer for the contest. I think I'll go up in my tree stand with a camera and 22LR rifle to squirrel hunt. Just can't get the thrill out of my mind. I just hate to check my camera chip to see what I'm missing.
I won't be hunting until gun season. I promised I would take my brother out as he hasn't hunted in over 20 yrs. He can't set still but I'm hoping with him in a easy chair in my tower he'll set it out. I already told him none of his damn man scents. He doesn't like that thought.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Has anyone been out and seen anything? I changed my memory card and my cheap batteries were dead.
Can't get anyone in the family to go out even after I explained the rut starting to begin and I have a great stand setup on the main trail.
But the kids did find time to go squirrel hunting in my woods and I wasn't happy about that because have trail camera setup. OH well.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I took my almost 16 yr. old grandson out this morning. We hunted from daybreak till noon. And only seen 3 squirrels. I brought along a small heater and a 42 yr. old double wide sleeping bag. That kept the chill to bearable condition at 28 degrees.
I'll post a picture of the little fellow later for the contest. This little fellow at almost 16 is 6"3" and growing and weighs in at over 250 lbs. His older brother at 18 is almost as tall and weights slightly less and I call them "little shits" they always smile. Don't know if they think it's funny or grandpa doesn't know what he talking about. I'm sorta leaning towards the later idea.
Fun time. He only wanted his 1st buck as he's taken 2 does over the years.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
My son got a doe, Youth bonus. Im going back to the farm for the opener to hunt a couple days. Hope to score something.

Congrats to your son and you. It's almost more fun getting the kids out to hunt as it's for myself going out. I had the pleasure of taking my 2 grandson out to get each their deer and they both got 2 deer each. Their dad is at a gunshow almost every weekend so grandpa gets the chore. I love it as you see all my grandparents were dead before I was born so I cherish the time with the grandkids.