Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Teachers not going back to school.

Quantum673

Supporting Member
Jamestown, OH
this started waaay before the No Child Left Behind Act. the failure of public education really started back in 1965 when ESEA was passed, when the federal government got involved in funding primary and secondary education.
I wasn't around for that so I can't speak on it. I saw the big change after No child left behind. Once everything started being taught to the standard testing.

I was going to write it but here is an actual charter school teacher that explains it better than I ever could.

The predominant reason people want to get into a public job is exactly why J stated. It's human nature. More pay, benefits, state-sponsored pension with less accountability and a union to hide behind.. None of which has anything to do with education.

The case for (some) teacher turnover in charter schools
https://fordhaminstitute.org/national/commentary/case-some-teacher-turnover-charter-schools

A couple of snippets

"ational Center for Education and Statistics (NCES), found that 15.7 percent of public school teachers either moved schools or left the profession between 2011–12 and 2012–13. In charter schools, this number is slightly higher at 18.4 percent. "

Teacher turnover is particularly salient to charter schools because of the flexibility they enjoy when it comes to their staffing and leadership structures. They’re freer to release underperforming teachers and replace them with new ones. This often causes charters to rely on young teachers with limited experience. But that’s not necessarily a bad thing.

A study commissioned by TNTP found that the ability to fire a teacher—no matter who the replacement is—often works out in the student’s favor: “Schools have a three-in-four chance of replacing a low-performing teacher with a new hire who will be more effective right away,”

the likelihood of the replacement teacher being more effective than the last actually dropped to 69 percent if the teacher was a “teacher transfer”; this suggests that a new teacher is actually more likely than a transfer teacher to outperform a low-performing teacher.

Pay attention to that last part when we're talking about teachers who want to transfer from charter to public... Could it be accountability????
Joe public union backed teachers can be fired or non renewed in their first 3 years for anything. And to achieve tenure u have meet certain requirements.

And when they become shitty employees in year 11?
No they have yearly evaluations which are tied into their students test scores, if the test scores are bad over a few years they are basically put on probation which forces them to get their shit together, if they don't improve then they can be fired. And typically when this happens the union does not try to protect the shitty teacher, unless there is some unique circumstances. The days of Coach Block Head teaching history by watching a different War Movie are over. Typically Coach/Teacher Mr. Bock Head is A.D, ISS, CBI (Career Based Intervention) which some schools don't have CBI . If you don't have your shit together as a teacher you won't be around long to many helicopter parents and test standards, bad teachers can't hide.

Snyder10

No dog in this fight, but there is a lot more going here with this letter than just covid. Board and the union reps are not getting along.
Not getting along might be an understatement since their contracts are not done, and its August :oops:.

Another interesting thing to mention is that the county health directors are having a big say-so in the reopening plan. We were told as soon as one of our counties (we split between 2) goes to red, were going online automatically.

Floki

228"]Fucking sad excuse for "educated adults".

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Yup, bunch of bullshit! American or Americant! That’s the USA of America today. Ya don’t want teach?Well then don’t leave your fuggin house!!!!! Absolutely bullshit! No fuggin reason for this. Going to destroy Families that both parents work.

Union non union what the fugg. Back in world war 2 people of this country pulled together. Now days........🖕🏿🖕🏿SAD!!

Any teacher that goes to grocery store and gets a hair cut.. only thinks about them selves. If they don’t want to teach. Bottom line.This is what our kids are facing today. Where is the moral compass? No blood no grit. Sit home be a pussy!! Do to others what your not willing to do..

Floki

Again, no dog in this fight, but that jas nothing to do with covid, like snyder said August and no contract is not good. Strike mite be on the horizon once they return to school
Right on, nothing personal,..... One man is not Island.

Ya gotta call bullshit when ya see it. No reason why kids cannot go back to school.
Teachers and statistics should be able to figure that out.

Statistics tho with kids are over looked. They act like their going to be in a senior citizens home with 20 Covid patients... Take the 11.69 million people in Ohio ... Break down deaths that are under 17 and ya come up with?? 2 maybe 3 ........?

Right on, nothing personal,..... One man is not Island.

Ya gotta call bullshit when ya see it. No reason why kids cannot go back to school.
Teachers and statistics should be able to figure that out.

Statistics tho with kids are over looked. They act live their going to be in a senior citizens home with 20 Covid patients... Take the 11.69 people in Ohio ... Break down deaths that are under 17 and ya come up with?? 2 maybe 3 ........?
In regards to the Streetsboro teachers union, I feel like that letter was pointless as the health department is calling the shots. Second if I were a rep for that school district I would continue to teach until things return to normal, it's going to be elearning no matter what all schools are caving. once school returned to normal (which I personally think should be now)I as rep would return to negotiation and then play my strike hand as people would cave due to school being out for so long and the want for kids to be in school. But I'm just "Big Dumb Jon"

Floki

I guess the best way to put it.. Is to ask a teacher, Statistically break down the numbers, then explain the reason. Why schools are not opening up?

I would even say pick any state in the United States of America .. Based on Covid and adults under 17 that have died...

Snyder10

228"]Fucking sad excuse for "educated adults".

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Yup, bunch of bullshit! American or Americant! That’s the USA of America today. Ya don’t want teach?Well then don’t leave your fuggin house!!!!! Absolutely bullshit! No fuggin reason for this. Going to destroy Families that both parents work.

Union non union what the fugg. Back in world war 2 people of this country pulled together. Now days........🖕🏿🖕🏿SAD!!

Any teacher that goes to grocery store and gets a hair cut.. only thinks about them selves. If they don’t want to teach. Bottom line.This is what our kids are facing today. Where is the moral compass? No blood no grit. Sit home be a pussy!! Do to others what your not willing to do..[/QUOTE]
In regards to the Streetsboro teachers union, I feel like that letter was pointless as the health department is calling the shots. Second if I were a rep for that school district I would continue to teach until things return to normal, it's going to be elearning no matter what all schools are caving. once school returned to normal (which I personally think should be now)I as rep would return to negotiation and then play my strike hand as people would cave due to school being out for so long and the want for kids to be in school. But I'm just "Big Dumb Jon"
Makes too much sense to do it that way

Floki

Big Country.. This isn’t a personal jab at you brother. One man don’t make an island.Just a discussion that needs to be had.

I’m asking pick any state in the United States and show me static’s of people under 17 dying from Covid since March.. Then show the population of the state.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I said it once and I'll say it again. Give them a date to return to work and let it be known that for those who abandon their job the state will terminate their employment, strip their license, and bar them from public education in Ohio for life. #WhatWouldReaganDo.

Floki

I said it once and I'll say it again. Give them a date to return to work and let it be known that fo
DBA64E2D-5580-43B9-A3DE-AE6431BE0B8A.gif
r those who abandon their job the state will terminate their employment, strip their license, and bar them from public education in Ohio for life. #WhatWouldReaganDo.
I agree.... Yet..... Joe Biden would say... 😂😂😂😂

Big Country.. This isn’t a personal jab at you brother. One man don’t make an island.Just a discussion that needs to be had.

I’m asking pick any state in the United States and show me static’s of people under 17 dying from Covid since March.. Then show the population of the state.
I agree with u, I think we should be back in school 5 days a week in person. This shit is madness, my kids need to be in school getting yelled at by someone else

Floki

I agree with u, I think we should be back in school 5 days a week in person. This shit is madness, my kids need to be in school getting yelled at by someone else
Right on brother! Don’t let it beat ya down. Your an American. Shame you have to, be involved with all this I know ya want to speak your piece.. One man don’t make island. Your not the only teacher on the right side of things. Sucks! I understand your position..