Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Tall Chads Illinois Adventure Begins Soon.........

Fletch

Supporting Member
Ok, So I took Chad out to Illinois last March to shed hunt.... One of the farms we lease is broken in half by a field and the one section we've never hunted. Actually I've never even walked it till this past spring and even then Chad and me only covered part of it... Reason for not using it ? I guess lack of woods and never really had the desire... Plus we have quite a bit of properties that produce year after year so why go elsewhere? BUT... Chad really liked it and showed interest in hunting it... Now its in an area that produces decent bucks so it could be a gold mine pre rut as the back boundary is a river which turns and continues down Eastern side of prop. Most of the property is kinda high crp which seems wet therefore is not used for crops... Trees are limited to top border and along river to the East. Surrounding properties are huge crop fields which will be soy beans this year... Woodlots are mixed in with these fields so I'm sure bucks will cruise along the river, esp pre-rut when they are horny and does are not yet receptive... At least this is what we are hoping for... Attached is a photo of google maps.... Note that two areas are circled... Area to left is 80 acres which produced a decent buck last year and we had numerous nice bucks on cam there.... Property to right with the letter "C" is where Chad will hunt.... It's about 130 acres.... So in the near future I'll be heading out to Illinois to hang stands and I'll hang a stand for Chad in top left corner... Then his adventure begins.... Any Thoughts????

20180321_165021.jpg

Attachments

• chad.jpg
    chad.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 198

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Should get interesting, curious to see what’s hanging out in the CRP.... Good luck on the adventure....

Fletch

Supporting Member
J.... There were a lot of tracks and trails in it last March, so we'll see... Last year when I got out there I stopped at the local grocery store for some supplys and girl says: You should of been here last week Ted Nugent was in town hunting... He don't impress me.. Now this year I can only imagine... You should have been here last week we had reports of a SASQUATCH SIGHTING... LOL

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
It will be quite the adventure. I've had a little experience hunting river bottom bucks and I'm pretty sure this river won't be any different. They'll cruise down from the 80, and right into that patch I'll be in before they split into the crp. Or they'll be bedding in the crp and work their way up to the 80 using the river as a highway. Plenty of 250" bucks out there so it should get interesting [emoji3]

Hunter II

Do you think a prevailing w/nw wind will affect this setup? Is there any way to float the river on the downwind side to get to the upper right corner?

Reactions: Fletch

Fletch

Supporting Member
Brock... Chad will be own his own out there as I don't get there till the following week... Brian, on paper and in theory it does look like a great spot... I've never been back to that corner.... We should have looked at it better in March... In a couple weeks I'll know... As for the stand... Yeh I plan on getting up in it and maybe standing on a milk crate to make it Sasquatch ready.. Hunter II float the river may be tough as the side's are steep and like 10 ft... I don't even think the deer cross it in that area... That's what gives the setup an even better advantage... As things progress Chad and I will both update this with photos and whatever... I thought it would be fun to follow him...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Brock... Chad will be own his own out there as I don't get there till the following week... Brian, on paper and in theory it does look like a great spot... I've never been back to that corner.... We should have looked at it better in March... In a couple weeks I'll know... As for the stand... Yeh I plan on getting up in it and maybe standing on a milk crate to make it Sasquatch ready.. Hunter II float the river may be tough as the side's are steep and like 10 ft... I don't even think the deer cross it in that area... That's what gives the setup an even better advantage... As things progress Chad and I will both update this with photos and whatever... I thought it would be fun to follow him...

Sounds good! If there is a spot along that river they cross it sounds like it will be Dynamite! Best of luck to you guys.

Reactions: Bigslam51

Fletch

Supporting Member
Big misconception about Ilinois is that there are booners behind every tree... Not the case... Been hunting Illinois since 2003 and have seen one deer that I'm pretty sure broke the 200 inch mark... Watched him all day after he bedded down with a doe roughly 60 yds away... At 4 PM they got up and walked back in the direction they came from... So Chads chances at a 200 inch buck are probably slim... But I think he'll see some decent bucks and has a very good chance at seeing a 140+ inch buck within range and hope he lets an arrow fly, as I'd be tickled pink to see him shoot a buck... If he get's something over 150 I'll be extremely happy... And the chance is there all it takes is one doe going into heat at that time of the year... One thing I can quarentee is that he'll have a warm bed to crawl into every night with a nice hot shower.... Friend already asked if he likes fried chicken.... My response was: Does a bear shit in the woods??? I might have TOO make a cheesecake and freeze it for him when I go out later this month....

Fletch

Supporting Member
Bigten.…. Thanks as Chad said back at ya.... Good Luck....

Fletch

Supporting Member
This buck was shot on neighbors property couple years back... It was shot about a 100 yds from one of my stands... Said it was over 200 inches... I didn't see it so I'm not sure if hes correct... From the pic I'm not sure but nice buck...

Attachments

• 200 inch.jpg
    200 inch.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 235