Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Talk me off the ledge

Jamie

Ohio
They do indeed, but an eastern fella that invests $3,000+ on licenses and tags for 6 years before getting drawn for a 14 day hunt, should probably give himself a little better advantage. 😅

lol, that only makes sense if you require or desire a greater advantage. traditional bowhunters are forever running away from that notion.

Reactions: jagermeister

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I did a little more thinking on this. Screw it jim sell the compound. if you ever want a compound again you will probably want a newer bow anyway.
I think you're right. If I did get back into it after a while, I would probably look for a new bow. But I think I am going to keep it... For now at least. Like Jamie said, I probably need a few low points to go with the highs before fully committing.

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
what was presented in this podcast that would make you want to sell your compound? I've seen this scenario play out many times with friends and acquaintances. has your commitment to classical archery really been tested yet? I'm not questioning your commitment, but until you have to let a big one walk at 20-30 yards, or worse, miss him at 10 yards or worse still, wound one, then maybe it's a good idea to hold onto that wheelie bow. most guys run back to their compound pretty fast when shit goes sideways with their trad bow. just sayin'. I sold my last compound bow in 1986. have never thought twice about it, but I never really enjoyed shooting one in the first place and I hated carrying the damn thing even more.

contrary to what most of you would expect from me, I'd say it would be wise to hold on to it for a few more years. Hoot told me once that it takes five years of 100% traditional bowhunting before he'd be convinced that somebody is fully committed to it. based on that wisdom and my own observation of how many people I've seen all gung-ho for a couple years, then it gets to be too much work, or they don't have time to practice, or they just cannot let them walk at 30 yards, or they simply do not enjoy it, or whatever. not a thing wrong with going both ways, but for me, either you is or you ain't.

Jamie is spot on. Elk hunting broke the seal for me. Then the loss of commitment to make time to shoot. I've killed several nice whitetails with a recurve. I never shot over 25 with a compound bow and I think shooting a traditional bow gave me a few different advantages. I just can't commit to the time to practice like I should. The good thing is when I do shoot it I'm usually pretty darn good out to 20 yards.

BTW how is Hoot doing? Next time I'm in town I need to stop by and say hi to Jamie and Hoot.

Reactions: jagermeister