Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Suppressor Build Finished

The idea of paying $200 for a Federal Tax Stamp bothers me, when it should just be another weapon accessory. Then the idea of waiting 7 to 8 months (Form 4) to get approved for a suppressor...AFTER paying the $200, really bothers me. :rolleyes:
My "adjusted" train of thought is... "If I'm going to purchase/build a suppressor, $200 is part of the cost." Then I read about Form 1 and building your own suppressor with minimal wait time. So, I did some research on building one, found a couple of good companies from which to order the parts and got busy with what works and what doesn't work. (y)
The online Form 1 required me to take a selfie, make up my own serial number, model number and "snail mail" 2 copies of finger print cards. The Allen County Sheriff's Dept. wanted to charge $20 for finger prints. (n) Nutz! I went to Ottawa Ordinance Gun Shop and they gave me the finger print cards. Then I went to the Putnam County Sheriff's Dept. and they finger printed me for free. :)
I put it all together and got approved in 16 days! :cool:
I had about $380 in parts, through Solvent Traps Direct. Titanium tube and end caps with stainless steel spacers and cones for the internals. I had a machinist help me with shaving down one of the spacer tubes for a tight fit and drilling out the holes in the cones. I "rattle canned" it with some high temp engine paint. The same machinist threaded the barrel on my Savage Axis ll XP with a heavy barrel, in 22-250. So far, my Savage only had 2" of correction, from left to right, to be dead on at 200 yards. I intend to use this on my AR-10 in 243 for coyotes, but haven't finished my reloads to test it, yet. (I've been bowhunting deer and goose season opens tomorrow. :sneaky:)

I highly recommend going the Form 1 route, if you're interested in a suppressor. (y) No hearing protection needed. The coyotes hear it, but can't figure where it came from, which allows you time to kill more of them. It doesn't wake the neighbors at 2 a.m.

Bowhunter57

Attachments

• Axis 3.jpg
    Axis 3.jpg
    565.7 KB · Views: 178
  • Axis 1.jpg
    Axis 1.jpg
    590.5 KB · Views: 184