Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Stuck Cleaning Rag

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Last night I made a bonehead mistake when I was cleaning my flintlock.

I normally use paper towels for cleaning rags which isn't the problem; my plastic cleaning rod eye broke. I tried making a hook from a coat hanger to pull the towel out, but so far haven't had any luck.

It's in there pretty good because it was fairly tight. My plan right now is get a patch puller or make to prong thingy similar to one. I may also fill the barrel up with TC cleaning solution so the towel will soak it up. That should loosen it up so I can start pulling it out.

Anyone ever had this problem? If there's an easier way I'd rather do that.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Not familiar with flint locks bit any way to get some powder behind it and blow it out?
Air pressure might work also.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Worm should do the trick.
Same as a patch puller.

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Not familiar with flint locks bit any way to get some powder behind it and blow it out?
Air pressure might work also.

Hope you were joking J. If not, I may not be following. I am not as savvy as many on here but I would never try to blast out an obstruction in a barrel. Blast it out with some air? Yes. With powder or a projectile? Never.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Not sure if it would damage the barrel or cause other harm, but is there a way to light the paper towel on fire? Again, not sure if dangerous or if it could cause damage. Just a thought. A thought you may seek more qualified opinion on prior to trying it.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Hope you were joking J. If not, I may not be following. I am not as savvy as many on here but I would never try to blast out an obstruction in a barrel. Blast it out with some air? Yes. With powder or a projectile? Never.

I’m thinking 150 grains outta do it Phil... SMH

10-20 grains isn’t going to harm anything. Or if your worried use air pressure if the other measures don’t work. I’ve dealt with pressures and proof pressures most of my adult life, I wouldn’t have a problem with it.

wv67

I’m guessing the plastic rag holder is from a cleaning kit or is it one that screw to the end of your ram rod ... either way heat the end of your rod and try to thread it back in the plastic let it cool all the way and pull repeat it will catch or get into pieces and come out easier ... Or spray hair spray in the nipple end and light it like a tater gun not so hard to get out ,,, got faith in ya

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Since it's a flintlock there's no nipple. But there maybe a screw in flash hole. Remove it and take a air hose and just blow it out.
Even if no screw in flash hole the small hole should let in enough air pressure to blow it out.

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Since it's a flintlock there's no nipple. But there maybe a screw in flash hole. Remove it and take a air hose and just blow it out.
Even if no screw in flash hole the small hole should let in enough air pressure to blow it out.

The problem is that its in there pretty tight. I'm not sure air pressure would blow it out.