Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Streeless Pond access/Dam recovery

Stressless

Keene, OH
After writing the properties habitat management goals out in 2014 I got to work, most Goals, Objectives & Tasks were focused at getting the Forestry management plan updated, implementing the steps prior and post to keep the property in CAUV tax basis and completion of tasks associated with the cabin. I set some ambitious goals for 2015/'16 and one of the big ones was getting access to the large pond below the cabin. The boys had always fished it, swam in it but it was a PITA to do either. We had removed the trespassers from fishing the property a couple years ago (2014) so this task aligned with getting the ponds into shape and managing them for the fishery - (that's another thread as well) This one is about getting access first - without that, getting the fishery up to date wouldn't count for much - you couldn't access it!

Here's a couple before and after with some captions.

Really bad management - some mature trees and root systems in the dams narrowest parts, overflow spilling onto the dam eroding it, no good way in/out for swimming. This pic was the largest clear access to the pond summer of 2015. I knew I had a limited time to overcome these flaws or the pond may washout or dam collapse. Much of this pond is 20' deep and over 50% < 15'.
Mid Dam Prior.jpg

Spoiler pic LoL - Dam, same general view but a few months later, Nov 2015. You can see some of the matting in the photo below - this went across the dam in the lowered area so if the beaver dammed up the overflow (again) the water would run over and down the matting without cutting through the clay dam.
Mid Dam Post.jpg

I had gotten quotes from local excavation company's and went with a young man that owned his own shop. Couldn't be happier with the results. I got a price break if the trees were cut and removed prior to the excavation starting so I did that portion. You can see the slopes on the paths curbs, Multi F^##^ Rose grew along there and reached out harpooning you along the entire 300' of the dam.
20151019_174348.jpg

The last tree - it was a leaner (over the pond) so I had to use use a wide hinge cut and power. Last tree on the dam that needed to come down, 18" leaning silver maple.

Once the shrubbery and trees were removed it was clear how badly the land needed moved around to allow access for swimming and fishing, mowing for tree root prevention and to create the first green field on the 100 acres. No food plots existed prior to this.
20151103_161505.jpg

Excavation getting after it, they were only on site for 4 days.
20151104_092133.jpg

Matted under the gravel, Mat running both with the dam and across the dam as an emergency spillway.
20151105_171551.jpg

After pic. Seeded, some pellitized lime and straw.
17729.jpeg

The next springs' growth and the first food plot - pasture grass for forage and to hold the dam.
17512.jpeg

On the spillway, instead of extending the drop element we (my buddy Chris again) cut a 20' pipe in two lenghtwise, rebarred the sections and sloughed the pond runoff down the chute. This has worked quite well over the last 4 years.
P6250547.JPG

P6250549.JPG

So hopefully this gives folks some ideas, ways forward or at least to not let your Damn Dam's go feral :ROFLMAO:. Happy to answer any questions on this project. Happy Hew Year!!

Last edited:

Stressless

Keene, OH
Cleaning up the last 5% of work on the Damn Dam this winter, had one tree that's been leaning over the pond, finaly made up my mind to add struture to the pond critters and just let it fall in the pond when I cut it in late Dec.

tree.JPG

Beamed in and saw something moving down on the pond - down by the silver maple I dropped into in the pond as added structure. Nanny and fawn out getting the woody browse, it's about 15' deep right where they are standing.
A21022214363900.jpg

Reactions: Big_Holla and Mike