Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Steve's 2019 season

Tipmoose

Supporting Member
Grove City
Below is a pic of the Hawken. She hasn't been out of the safe in many many years.

20191031_182044.jpg

Below is a picture of the T/C Triumph. Had to pull the breech plug and clean it out. Got the breech plug lube in there and its ready to roll.

20191031_182135.jpg

Got my tent cot, sleeping bag, meat cutting saw, muzzle loading supplies and two totes of clothes and gear. Also have two coolers. One for meat and one for beer.

20191031_181834.jpg

Here's how I transport my loose powder charges to the stand. I don't trust pellets any farther than I can throw them. I find I get the best accuracy by weighing out the powder like this. The tubes keep it dry and portable.

20191031_174744.jpg

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Congrats on the doe and buck, Steve... Heard some muzzle loaders going off yesterday. Sounded like they were zeroing them in.

Reactions: Tipmoose

Tipmoose

Supporting Member
Grove City
The previous weekend's trip to NC is over and I'm looking forward to the next one. But before I can load up a fraction of the gear and head to Missouri, I have to clean up the gear from this past trip. Took today and cleaned both muzzies and put them back in the safe. Spread out the fly on my tent cot and set the tent cot itself up so it can dry out. Ran all my clothes back through the washer and dryer and packed them away in their scent free totes. Almost ready....

Before I get on with this post, I'd like to step up on my soapbox and talk about my favorite things about deer and deer hunting. First is eating the deer. That's the entire reason why I hunt. I love how deer taste and I love that its healthy. I feel a sense of satisfaction when I fill the freezer that my family is taken care of. Even if I were to die tomorrow, they would be fed for over a year. The second thing I like about hunting is just getting outside and back to nature. I feel better and happier when I feel an attachment to the land. And the third thing is the sense of accomplishment that comes with processing a deer from field to freezer with no assistance.

Yep...Im one of those folks who actually enjoys processing the quarters, loins and straps into packages ready for the freezer. I love watching primals go from 'on the bone' to 'in the freezer'. I enjoy the tally of the different kinds of meats and of course keeping some out to eat for dinner. This coming weekend we are going to smoke up another 30 lbs of summer sausage and make at least 5 lbs of jerky. Some, if not all, of that meat will come from the deer we harvested this past weekend.

A partially processed front leg is in on the cutting board. Tenderloins are in the ziploc, meat for grinding is in the silver bowl. The small bowl contains silver skin and other undesirables.

For what its worth, I highly recommend the plastic totes. I hear you can get them cheap at restaurant supply stores. I just got mine from cabelas. Here is one containing sectioned processed backstraps and a tenderloin that didn't make it into the bag in the prev pic.