Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Startlink internet

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Anyone have it? on the wait list?

Now that roaming has been enabled there's a work around I'm trying. I'm also going to set up a mesh network to get service out to my barn.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
We've had it for a month, via the workaround. We've never had internet available to us, so this is very exciting times for us. Speeds will vary if you are roaming, as the customers within a cell are given preference over those roaming. I have seen download speeds up to 250, but average around 80, and I am fine with that, considering I'm roaming. Ping averages between 60-100ms, and that's acceptable as well. Upload varies quite a bit, but I've never seen below 10.

If you have other options for internet, I would consider them first. But if you are like me and only have this option, you won't be disappointed.

Reactions: Mike and Hedgelj

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
We've had it for a month, via the workaround. We've never had internet available to us, so this is very exciting times for us. Speeds will vary if you are roaming, as the customers within a cell are given preference over those roaming. I have seen download speeds up to 250, but average around 80, and I am fine with that, considering I'm roaming. Ping averages between 60-100ms, and that's acceptable as well. Upload varies quite a bit, but I've never seen below 10.

If you have other options for internet, I would consider them first. But if you are like me and only have this option, you won't be disappointed.
It's basically my only option.

DSL is out because they ran fiber optic. Cable is out because they stopped the line a hundred yards or so up the hill (even though spectrum will tell me i can get it, the installers say otherwise).

Verizon doesn't offer the home hot spots on my area yet.

There's a local satellite-ish that requires a line of sight from their towers. The farm is using that sending the signal from house to house and I'mthe third in line. They are paying for 20ish and if no one is using it i see that bit in the evening when everyone is using I'm lucky to see 2-3mbps. If i went off my barn roof or the location for our new build i probably could get it but I'm trying something because I'm frustrated.

So here goes nothing.

Reactions: Fluteman

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I can get better speeds running a hot spot of my phone than my current solution.
This is how we managed to have a bit of internet for school work. I had to install a $1500 booster and then service would be 8mb at best. Starlink is far from perfect, but it's great for those of us without a better option. Hope you are as happy with it as we have been so far.

Reactions: Hedgelj and "J"

Jamie

Ohio
For over 20 years I’ve only had access to DSL service for internet. No choices or other options besides satellite. Centurylink is a lousy service provider on every level and it is ssssllloooooow on a good day. My next door neighbor has TMobile wireless internet. We called and they told us that it is not available in our area. After wrangling with their customer service for a week, we finally got one of them to admit that we are in a “test market”. We ordered the equipment and found the best place to set it up. This easily twice as fast as our sluggish, shitty DSL , and less money. Have not had any issue streaming TV. It is fantastic. We are cutting all the cords now that we can stream without issue. Directv and Centurylink can suck it. We will soon be paying less for vastly better internet.

Ohio
Currently waiting on Starlink in our area. Only other options would be satellite. We have two Verizon hot spots currently which work great but they slow down after we max out the data for the month.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Currently waiting on Starlink in our area. Only other options would be satellite. We have two Verizon hot spots currently which work great but they slow down after we max out the data for the month.
If the work around works for me I'll pm you the steps

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
FB_IMG_1651604987316.jpg

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Here's what I'm doing
I wrote out instructions for getting kit within 10 days.. Hope this helps..

Instructions to find open Starlink Cells for ordering Starlink..

Use this map to find cells that are open to new accounts (Light Green).. locate a city in the open cell that is closest to you, miles doesn't matter, just closest to your physical location. Note: Dark Green Cells Have Service, just not accepting new accounts..

https://www.starlink.com/map

Use this map to get Google Plus Code.. Find the city you located above, mark a spot on a road, preferably a county road, not in the middle of the city, and it will show the plus code for that spot to enter in service address on the Starlink order page.

Example Plus Code: 862WRG8M+33

It should accept your purchase.. Change shipping address to where you want your kit shipped, can be anywhere, home, FedX store, etc.. Your kit should arrive in 5-10 days depending on FedX..

The entire map with light and dark cells have active service.. The dark green are full to capacity of new and existing accounts.. and the map can change daily to reflect new orders filling a grid to capacity.. The Light Green Cells are currently accepting orders from new customers, no wait list.. Again it can change at any time to reflect new orders, cancelations and new satellites being launched..

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
So far it works. I had to enable roaming mode (which will be an extra $25 per month) and at peak times I can see large variations in my speeds. I still have a mid 2022 date for service at my home location so I'll switch to there when it becomes available.

I have all the tp link items for creating a mesh wifi network around the property. I will use it to power security cameras.
Following this video to set it up.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Update:
I've had starlink up and running for a few months now. Definitely can notice a slow down in the evenings and especially on the weekend evenings but I can still stream multiple devices. Biggest thing I can notice is that the pings go up if I'm trying to game with my son (fortnite). The only time its cut out is during a significant rain storm which is to be expected considering its satellite but a bit of a bummer because why wouldn't I be inside relaxing during such a storm?

TP link mesh network is running nicely. I probably am running more access points than I need but I can get onto and use my network from 100 yards from my house. I can also pick up the signal and connect at the new house build site so that'll make changing things around but keeping connectivity very possible once we get done building. I'm using the Omada hardware controller and the omada access points.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
So far it works. I had to enable roaming mode (which will be an extra $25 per month) and at peak times I can see large variations in my speeds. I still have a mid 2022 date for service at my home location so I'll switch to there when it becomes available.

I have all the tp link items for creating a mesh wifi network around the property. I will use it to power security cameras.
Following this video to set it up.
I was walking my dog and was at medium signal strength across my field connected to one of these access points.About 245 yards per the line distance feature of OnX.

TP-Link EAP225-Outdoor | Omada AC1200 Wireless Gigabit Outdoor Access Point | Business WiFi Solution w/ Mesh Support, Seamless Roaming & MU-MIMO | PoE Powered | SDN Integrated | Cloud Access & App https://a.co/d/7htdM1I

Screenshot_20230106_160418_onX Hunt.jpg

Reactions: giles and Jackalope