Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Squirrel Doggin' 2015

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Yeah blew me away also. Got six tails hanging on nails on the shed lol. Old lefty is looking at those tails the way I look at steak lol.

Jamie

Ohio
thanks for the kind words, all. I wish I had realized 20 years ago how much I enjoy handling a hunting dog. oh, well, there is still time to make up for lost time, I guess. I'm on the hunt for another pup from Mountain Cur stock with the same lineage as Lefty and his kin.

this time of year squirrels just don't move about too much. there is no food on the ground to speak of, nothing up in the trees yet, the breeding cycle was over weeks ago. Sows are holed up birthing and nursing their litters. everybody living on their caches of food now until stuff starts growing again in a few weeks, coming out mostly to sun themselves and probably to end their own boredom. too nice of a day to not be outside yesterday, and I was just too damn tired and sore from work to start collecting treestands. took the dog for a walk instead. I've seen several fox squirrels while driving since Thursday, so I figured some might be moving with the warm temps. it got awfully windy, but the sun felt nice. dog only settled on two trees in three hours, but stretched his legs like he meant business. of the two trees he made, one was an obvious den, the first tree had a squirrel in it, and it's the only one we saw in the woods yesterday. was nice to be outside in a t-shirt, if only for a couple of hours.

he saw this one. first squirrel he's treed since Jan. 31. darn near had to put a lead on him to remove him from his tree.
2-20 1.jpg2-20 2.jpg2-20 3.jpg2-20 4.jpg

Reactions: Left field

Jamie

Ohio
actually, I think I might start carrying my Ruger MKIII Hunter some next year. I'm not a great shot with it, but it would be fun to shoot some with a handgun. I need to find the right ammo for this gun as the best I can do with it right now from a bench at 35 yards is 1 1/2" - 2" groups, which is barely adequate for head shooting squirrels. I can only imagine how lousy a shot I would be with a flintlock. :eek:

Jamie

Ohio
Lefty really nailed them yesterday. squirrels out and about everywhere we wandered, which was considerably farther and wider than I had planned. never got lost, but was a trifle confused for a while. :smiley_confused_vra

Lefty treed 15 squirrels, and made a couple other den trees. mostly greys yesterday up in Ashland county. only two fox squirrels all day, one of which tried to kill Nancy. just out of the blue bailed out of a tree and landed at her feet, dog was treed 200 yards away. wish I had a go pro camera on my head to capture that kamikaze attack, lol...

3-12-16 2.jpg3-12-16.jpg

Jamie

Ohio
I don't know, but that was a new one. they get panicked and bail sometimes when the dog is after them and we are shooting at them. flying out of a tree is a defense mechanism, but this little bastard just bailed without provocation. we didn't even know it was there because the dog was long gone on a tree and we were cruising along toward his barking. that fact that it landed inches from Nancy was the funny part, and I don't see how it landed there by accident as the little fugger was only 20' up an 8" tree. maybe it recognized her and was getting some payback for clipping his girlfriend or something? rotflmao shit be gettin' real when rats go on the offensive and we ain't properly armed. I did hand to hand combat with a grey squirrel I shot with an arrow many years ago. brutal.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
lol... Hand too hand??? That'd be a sight too see..... lol

Maybe he was just practicing for next season Jamie lol

buz

Missouri
anyone who wants the pattern for this squirrel skinner send me a PM with you email address and I'll send it to you. I can't seem to upload the scan file. I really hate all this computer crap. I'm going squirrel hunting.
I here you about the computer crap. I would like to send a PM, but I can't figure out how. Anyway that gambrel looks great and I would like to make one. Maybe if you could send me a PM I could reply to it with my email address.
Thanks,
Buz