Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Spencie's 2019 Recap

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I just finished up my gun season and with everything going on from here on out I may be done for the season. I keep track of each hunt and here are some of the numbers.

I hunted 249 hours in two states and saw 242 deer...75 bucks. I was plus on the deer per hour until today.
WV: 45 deer, 69 hours, 11 bucks
Ohio: 197 deer, 180 hours, 64 bucks

This seemed to be the best November weather wise I can remember. Almost every morning was mid 20s to low 30s.

West Virginia was a huge disappointment. Rifle season there used to be when you boosted your stats. This year I saw 2 deer during rifle season which was up from 1 last year. Tyler actually talked to the WV DNR biologist about what their wildlife management plan is for the public ground and they do have one. But being a government agency it won't happen soon.
I did see 2 shooters, was at full draw twice on one but couldn't see well enough to shoot because of darkness. The other was going to be a Top 5 all time hunt but I blew the shot.

Ohio was bittersweet. I saw 125 more deer on the new property this year than I saw on the Athens property last year. I saw lots of chasing and heard a bunch of grunting. But I saw no shooters (140+) and had none on cam. 135" is the biggest we had. Not sure how that is even possible in an area as good as that.
The buck Tyler killed was 140s before it broke off 2 tines but we never had pics of it.
I had every buck that I consider a "resident" inside of 25 yards in November so I consider that a success.
I'm positive the property will keep getting better each year as the timbered areas get thicker and we make adjustments to other areas. I also found some stand sites that I feel will be better next year. There has not been much shooting at all on the bordering properties this week. So I'm hoping we will retain most of our herd.

I may get out for a day of Muzzy season...depends on work. I won't bowhunt in January unless I have a target buck.

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
So what Im reading is Tyler got another one on ya!!! LOL

You must be OCD Mike, but with that we get to enjoy your hunts and follow along .... Never stop sharing your hunts man, I read all of them and enjoy every one.... Look forward to what your building on your new property.. Just do me a favor and when Tyler gets ready to pull the trigger on a Tom this spring, just pull the trigger a second quicker and tell him thats from me........

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I find reasons to not shoot. He looks for reasons to go ahead. Well with deer that is. I’ve had 16 long beards inside of 10 yards each day this week. It was difficult to not take one home. Quite a few were pushing 1.5” spurs. One has a double beard. I really enjoy killing turkeys.
And yes I have some issues. lol. I’m sure that’s apparent by my nut gatherer stories.

Another thing: I hunted more mornings than evenings. Not once did my alarm go off all season. If I could sleep in I would quit hunting.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Looking forward to next season. I've enjoyed following along MIke. I believe the new property is only going to get better.

Reactions: Spencie

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Tyler came up with confirmation that the 9 point I was letting go is no longer alive. I figured his days were numbered. He liked the ladies way too much.
1BC1D18B-B6EE-4FBA-A156-D370E0C330CA.jpegFEF7D4A8-E926-4064-9426-F6117D5354BA.jpeg