Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Spencie 2022 Turkeys

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Yesterday morning there were no turkeys around but by afternoon they were all over.
76D1B10E-EAB4-41CF-9E3F-046F1B7780F4.jpeg
5C0B5A2C-56B0-4126-9F00-07EE8CD5A765.jpeg
FC90A1EF-0351-476F-92CB-18F1BE828E9F.jpeg

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Your turkey population is exceptional. I know you've put a lot of time, energy, and money into the habitat there, but I'm curious if there are other reasons why you think your farm is better than average for our county? Knowing your neighborhood, I have my suspicions, but was curious what your thoughts are.

Reactions: Sgt Fury

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Your turkey population is exceptional. I know you've put a lot of time, energy, and money into the habitat there, but I'm curious if there are other reasons why you think your farm is better than average for our county? Knowing your neighborhood, I have my suspicions, but was curious what your thoughts are.
I'm not exactly sure where you are going with the last sentence and I am not sure it is better than other areas of the county. I had some adjoining farms in Fleming that I felt were better than this one. That could have been because the total acreage was over 500 and the competition wasn't hateful. We have total control of 100 acres now and can create the habitat we want. We have done that in my opinion. We have a great mix of edges.... hardwoods, clearcuts, mulched ridges, road systems and fields. There is also a lot of bordering farm acreage that is remote with little human interference. The first 2 years, after the first week things got quite boring. Last year slowed down but there were still huntable birds. It's a long slow process.

Last edited: