Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Special Lottery Hunt Available in Logan County

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
9/19/2019 Division of Wildlife

Special Lottery Hunt Available in Logan County

COLUMBUS, OH – Transportation Research Center, Inc. (TRC) will hold a lottery drawing for special white-tailed deer hunting opportunities on Thursday, Oct. 17, according to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) Division of Wildlife. The hunts take place on TRC-managed property in Logan County.

The drawing will take place at the West Mansfield Conservation Club, located at 700 South Main Street, West Mansfield, 43358. Registration begins at 5 p.m. and the drawing will be held at 6 p.m. To participate in the drawing, hunters must appear in person, be at least 18 years old and present a 2019-2020 Ohio hunting license and deer permit. Youth hunters may participate in the hunt but are not eligible for the drawing.

Hunting dates will be scheduled for Saturdays and Sundays from Dec. 2, 2019 to Feb. 2, 2020, and approximately 15 hunters (and partners) will be drawn.
Hunters must attend a mandatory orientation prior to their hunting dates, which will be announced after the drawing. Permits are transferable up to the date of the orientation session. Hunters must follow all rules and regulations that apply to the Ohio’s deer-archery hunting season, as well as rules that are assigned to this special controlled deer hunt.

Visit wildohio.gov for more information about hunting seasons and regulations.

The mission of the ODNR Division of Wildlife is to conserve and improve fish and wildlife resources and their habitats for sustainable use and appreciation by all. Visit wildohio.gov to find out more.
- 30 -​

Source link: http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/stay-informed/news-announcements/post/special-lottery-hunt-available-in-logan-county?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed:+OdnrDivisionOfWildlife+(ODNR+Division+of+Wildlife)

I was drawn for the late season hunt, last year. The security people at the front gate are a great help in relaying information about how many deer were taken, what area has the best success, how many coyotes have been sighted, etc. Sometimes people start out liking it, then fall out of the program and that's when "alternates" have a chance to get in on the hunt or move to another area with a better deer population. :cool:

Apparently, this program has been in place for about 7 or 8 years. When it first started, the success rate was astronomical. There were deer bedding next to the security building at the front gate, but those days are gone.

I won't go back, simply because it's an hour away, it's only on the weekends and depending on the section you're assigned, you may have to have a 4 wheeler due to the huge size of some units. I was in a section that was 1.3 miles long and approx. 800 yards wide. It was bitter cold (which didn't bother me), but I had to transport some of my clothes (too hot walking all that distance) and my treestand for about 900 yards to the nearest tree. I had to use my hang-on treestand, as the trees were a bunch of "scrub" trees. Seen 2 does and 2 coyotes...that's it, but didn't hunt the entire late season. I felt that I could drive to a closer destination and see more deer.

I requested to move to another unit that had an opening and seen all kinds of deer tracks, scrapes, paths, rubs, droppings, etc. I thought for sure I'd kill one there and never seen the first deer. :rolleyes:
I talked to one of the GWs and he said there were plenty of deer sighted in that area.
I asked when and where.
He said they'd been spotting them with night vision around 2 a.m.
I told him, "Give me some night vision and I'll kill all you want." LOL

This year, a best friend of mine and his son were drawn for the early season hunt. The ARE seeing deer and have shot 1 doe, so far. There are a few units that allow firearms, during the Deer Gun Season, but most of it is bow only.
I won't go back due to the distance and the lack of being able to hunt it through the week.

The TRC Management run this program. The GWs are there to keep the hunt legal. If you have questions about any of it, I had good luck talking with the TRC Manager.

Bowhunter57