Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Shroom ID Thread

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Well? My future front year. Used to be a giant American elm that grew here.

20181010_170632.jpg

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
I’ve never picked wild mushrooms but would like to get into it. Anyone know what these are? Are they edible? If so, suggestions on preparing. They are growing at the base of a dead oak tree.View attachment 65981View attachment 65982View attachment 65983

Oyster mushroom. Yes edible, pick and place in cold salty water to get rid of any bugs. Let dry and prepare as you please. The darker ones are older and texture and taste may vary. The whiter ones are the newest ones. I ate some that was Snow White.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
For the record, there is something special that you harvest in the woods that you can’t buy in any store. Something mystical and soul mending if you will.

The book I purchased, man I was all in lol. Until I started reading. The book also states its best to take a friend that knows his shit and has harvested the kind your looking to take home. Also to eat a small portion at first in case you have an reaction. Then consume more if no ill effects.

Taste from the same type can vary depending what it’s growing out of. A good bit of shrooms growing out of the ground are highly toxic. Some are not. There are several types that look the same but one is edible and one is not. I ain’t taking no chances lol. I know enough to make a good trip to the ER!

I will try to find my book and give you the name and author. It is essentially a field guide.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Oyster mushroom. Yes edible, pick and place in cold salty water to get rid of any bugs. Let dry and prepare as you please. The darker ones are older and texture and taste may vary. The whiter ones are the newest ones. I ate some that was Snow White.

Might not be oysters. He is a pic of oysters
IMG_1226.jpg

Your pic the shrooms have stems. Oysters do not.
Your pic could be chicken of the woods. Like I said I know enough to be dangerous.

Shit maybe they are the same thing lol. Forget most of everything I’ve posted 🤪

Last edited:

oakswamper

around Toledo
I’ve never picked wild mushrooms but would like to get into it. Anyone know what these are? Are they edible? If so, suggestions on preparing. They are growing at the base of a dead oak tree.View attachment 65981View attachment 65982View attachment 65983

These look like Honey mushrooms AKA Stumper's . The ones on the right look old. There is a poisonous Honey look a like (galerina) look at the gills, galerina will be brown all the way from the button stage, the honey will start out white and not turn brown until it's really old

Reactions: Sgt Fury

oakswamper

around Toledo

These look like Honey mushrooms AKA Stumper's . The ones on the right look old. There is a poisonous Honey look a like (galerina) look at the gills, galerina will be brown all the way from the button stage, the honey will start out white and not turn brown until it's really old

Lucky

Sunbury
Only ever hunted for the spring morels, but this summer going to look for chanterelles, from what ive read and heard about them there as good or better than moreles. They grow in summer, guess july is prime season for em. There orange or yellow and look kinda trumpet like. If there as good ss morels, thatll be cool, something new to hunt. ill post pics when and if i find some. Anyone ever have them b4?

Reactions: Sgt Fury

Lucky

Sunbury
Any shroom as good as morels ..gonna have to try em. Aint a whole hell of a lot to do in july cept camp out and drink beers, and everyone knows how boring that shit is😁

Chass

The Hills
Only ever hunted for the spring morels, but this summer going to look for chanterelles, from what ive read and heard about them there as good or better than moreles. They grow in summer, guess july is prime season for em. There orange or yellow and look kinda trumpet like. If there as good ss morels, thatll be cool, something new to hunt. ill post pics when and if i find some. Anyone ever have them b4?
I've not had anything other than a morel myself other than store bought stuff. From what all the fungus fellas say, summer/fall is the best time for shrooming as that's when theres the most edible varieties producing.