Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Shroom ID Thread

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm no mycologist and often see fungi I can't identify, like this one. Figured we could use a thread for that.

20180818_094331.jpg

Jamie

Ohio
too early for HOTW, and they grow out of the ground, not on living or decaying trees. that is very likely COTW. I'm not a Mycologist either, so do your homework before eating them, but I'd sure try to determine for sure and eat them while they are young like that. I just got back from cutting these from my "mushroom tree". I've been experimenting with preserving these. Did a trial run with a couple pints in the canner, so I know I can pressure can them and not destroy them, and I might be able to freeze them whole. cooking the frozen ones later today. I'm guessing that is 50lbs worth, and I only got about half of them.
IMG_1690.JPG

this is a polypore mushroom, meaning that it does not have gills, but micropores on the underneath side of the fruit that drop spores. there are two types of COTW common to this region. Laetiporus Sulfureus and Laetiporus Cincinnatus. the ones I've been getting are the L. Sulfureus, I'm pretty sure.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
I'm no mycologist and often see fungi I can't identify, like this one. Figured we could use a thread for that.

View attachment 63261
How about adding ginsing and yellow root to the thread also? I know I’ve got some on my property because my neighbor said that he found some, but I’ve got no idea how to identify it. He also showed me a huge patch of ramps that I have not too far from one of my stands. They remind me of the scallions my father used to grow in his garden.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Any of you mushroom guys - looking at you Jamie - should listen to this podcast. You can download it on iTunes and every other podcast platform. Search "Joe Rogan Experience" and you'll find his stream. His story about tripping as a young man is nuts. Stamets may be the world's best mycologist.

Reactions: Jamie

Fletch

Supporting Member
Only mushrooms I'll pick are morels... Pretty hard to pick a bad one as they are easy to identify....

Reactions: GoetsTalon

Buckmaster

Portage
My shrooms I run through the dehydrator. They turn into a potato chip context. I place into empty canning jars and add to dishes later on. They re-hydrate themselves.

Buckmaster

Portage
For my birthday recently I received a bag of morel spores. I subsequently took my kids old sandbox and turned it into a compost bed.

Maybe next May we shall have some results. I need to find some ash bark to add to it.

Reactions: Mike and Jamie

Floki

Some good pictures in here. I’ve been out trying to find some chickens. Nothing yet.

For all you fellas who love morels.Intersting fact. Doesn’t make much sense to but, Morels grow 11 months out of the year in Israel. Sorta makes ya go hmmm..

Jamie

Ohio
now THAT is a thoughtful birthday gift, Buckmaster!

here's a funny mushroom story. yesterday I spent the middle part of the day giving painting quotes. I had two stops in Dublin yesterday in the Muirfield area, which, after all these years, is still a rather affluent part of central ohio. anyway, I'm walking down the driveway back to my truck and get to the street and look down and see a nice perfect white puffball about the size of a baseball growing in the strip of grass between the sidewalk and the street, right next to their mailbox post. I didn't really think twice about it as I took a quick glance around to see any neighbors were out watching me, nonchalantly bent down and grabbed that giblet and got in the truck and left. wasn't much, but I haven't seen any so far, and was happy for a little bonus with dinner.

so I got an EQ today. when I got home and got done with my office work I decided to brace a bow and practice some before it gets too hot. went and made my cold shot, took pic for other thread, pulled my arrow and went up on the deck to shoot a broadhead for my second shot. shot the other five arrows I had, too. went down to get them and as I'm approaching my target, in middle of my damn yard I noticed these. hot diggity!!!

InkedIMG_1746_LI.jpg

my own little crop of puffballs. never had them in the yard before. the universe is happy with me today for some reason. :)

Floki

So I’m pretty certain (99.9) this is a chicken of the woods Ive never ate one yet. This one if confirmed with my suspicions of it being a chicken of the woods(aka little help) Will be my first. Anyhow should I pick it now or wait. Best way to cook as well.. butter n onions? Please and thanks .. Just so happens it’s on the stump I use to clean my squirrels on. Wasn’t there the other day so these must grow fast.

B984F440-671B-4E8D-977A-2C66CDEF2002.jpeg