Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Show us your wood (pile)

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Well, free is rarely free. No spark as the first "why" in my troubleshooting today after I did a once over and felt it was ready to start. Bought a new spark plug and air filter, still no spark. Google and YouTube lead me to pull the armature magneto and it was pretty rusty, as is the fly wheel. I pulled the armature and buffed it clean, then replaced. Still no fire. I'm going to order a new one and see if that does it. Probably drain the oil too. I didn't like the looks of it.

Got my decking boards down and started my stack. I need to get the t-post driver from the farm so I can drive in a couple 8' posts on either end for containment. I have at least this much ready to split. Should have a full stack before much longer.

20200229_172341.jpg

twireman

Kingston, OH
Nice Jesse. Made it down to dads again today and dropped, skidded, bucked another 15 trees in to log length and added to the pile. May end up with two years worth down there....

Dad is getting somewhere in the ballpark of 15,000 cubic yards of dirt from a road project by his house to level his yard up his driveway... these trees would have all been bulldozed under 6’ of dirt and I couldnt bear to see such easy firewood dozed under.

Still have a ridiculously tall Sycamore to drop that’s 40” at base. Will mill it into 6x6 and 4x6 posts to build a timber frame gazebo behind the pool this summer...

Life is good.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Jesse, good start but I think your gonna need a much bigger pile... Remember it's gotta age, so better get your butt going...

Reactions: hickslawns

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Yep, this stack is facing south and will be for green wood. I have a giant ash tree that's ready to burn and multiple truckloads of ready to burn stuff that needs cut behind the house and at the farm. Lots of work, but it's fun work.

Bowkills

Nw oh
Nice Jesse. Made it down to dads again today and dropped, skidded, bucked another 15 trees in to log length and added to the pile. May end up with two years worth down there....

Dad is getting somewhere in the ballpark of 15,000 cubic yards of dirt from a road project by his house to level his yard up his driveway... these trees would have all been bulldozed under 6’ of dirt and I couldnt bear to see such easy firewood dozed under.

Still have a ridiculously tall Sycamore to drop that’s 40” at base. Will mill it into 6x6 and 4x6 posts to build a timber frame gazebo behind the pool this summer...

Life is good.
R u going to be making the posts?

It must be nice having access to a saw mill
I have a couple I hope to get sawn this year and I am not sure where to go anymore
I had a guy who used to rent me his ban saw mill but he finally just sold it

I have never done anything with sycamore but as long as you maintain the exposed portion you should be fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: twireman

twireman

Kingston, OH
It must be nice having access to a saw mill
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes it is very convenient and I do not take it for granted. I am more lucky that I have access to my dad who can do just about anything and has all the tools and brain power that is needed to build such a contraption and provide me acreage of timber to play with.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Solid diagnosis Saturday with the armature. It arrived yesterday, I got a free evening with good weather and got this baby purring on the second pull. Filled my little dump cart and the back racks of the quad 3 times before dark. I have the butt ends to so and I want to stand it up in the daylight, then finish out my pile. This thing ran like a top and flat out gets the job done. We'll see what the bigger and/or harder stuff does, but I'm more that pleased after an hour of operation tonight.