Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Show us your wood (pile)

twireman

Kingston, OH

Had a much needed day running the saws Saturday. Produced all the logs for firewood 2022.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Hell of a day's work, Tyler!

Not much here, but it's a start. I was completely out of firewood. I have 4 more maples this size that are down and ready to be cut and split. They'll be ready to burn by fall. I'll finish my storage area this weekend so I can get my stack started. I have a bunch of stuff in the woods that'll burn now that I need to go get.

20200223_164706.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
A word of warning to @bowhunter1023

If you choose to burn firewood. . . you need to ENJOY the whole process. You will spend a lot of money on wood burners, triple wall pipe, splitters, saws. . . You will feel you have everything you need, but then feel the need to be more efficient. You will spend more money on better equipment. Once all is said and done, I'm not sure how much money (if any) you will ever save burning wood. I realize you are looking at it as a backup heat source. I'm simply offering a word of warning. It is a slippery slope. I have not mentioned the amount of time spent on the process. I have not mentioned fuel, chainsaw chains, bar oil, etc. Please do not take this as trying to scare you away from going this route. The only point I am truly trying to make: Don't do it unless you truly enjoy the process.

It is genuinely rewarding. If you can do it to supplement your current heat source and reduce heating costs that is awesome. If you can use it as an emergency heat source AND supplemental heat source. . .even better. If you use it as your ONLY heat source (like I do) it requires a boat load of time and access to wood. It is part of my unwind time. I enjoy it. There are times I wish I could just use the natural gas furnace though.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Cutting wood is one of my favorite chores. I grew up in a wood burning household, so it's a bit nostalgic. I need a cord a year just for backyard fires and TOO events, so what I'm doing now and for the unforeseeable future is meant to support that. It'll be a while before I have a stove in the house and even then, it'll just be for backup and occasional heat. This isn't a newfound fancy I'm not sure how to handle 😉

twireman

Kingston, OH
I would have to agree with what Phil stated. For me Firewood has became a way of life. Also Firewood is like money you can never seem to have enough. I started with 028 stihl and a car hauler. Now I have a tractor a lien to and a splitter with a four wayWedge. Also I have a big O66 that can handle a 36 inch bar. As a wood scrounger you never know when the phone will ring for a massive yard tree that’s been dropped in an old person has no idea what to do with it.
Also for me my wife has never been without wood heat other than when we lived in Columbus while we she was in school.  She may complain when the house goes below 70° LOL

Generally when I am cutting either my father-in-law, my dad, or other family members are involved because most of them heat with wood at some point as well. It has just turned into a family affair for us. And it allows us to spend more time together.

I think I know @bowhunter1023 enough through the forums that he would thoroughly enjoy the whole process just like most of us do here.
Also anyone here that doesn’t use chainsaw chaps please order some today. One trip to the ER will definitely be more expensive than any money you saved cutting the wood.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Cutting wood is one of my favorite chores. I grew up in a wood burning household, so it's a bit nostalgic. I need a cord a year just for backyard fires and TOO events, so what I'm doing now and for the unforeseeable future is meant to support that. It'll be a while before I have a stove in the house and even then, it'll just be for backup and occasional heat. This isn't a newfound fancy I'm not sure how to handle 😉

I've seen your garden posts. I have zero doubt you enjoy it. I have zero doubt you are capable. I have zero doubt you understand what I was getting at. I'm just saying it is a slippery slope. Many of us start with "emergency heat source" or "reduce my heating costs." It can easily morph into something else. I find it enjoyable. My initial thoughts of reducing heating costs are comical to me now as I look at where I started versus where I am. I'm not saving squat. I've spent my savings on upgrades. It is easy to do.

Reactions: Big_Holla

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Look what literally showed up in my yard earlier. For free! My aunt text me earlier and said my uncle wanted to give this to me and my dad as a "love gift" because he isn't using it and knew we would. My uncle mentioned my dad surveying a bunch of land for them and never charging them, so they felt it was a good way to pay him back. They gifted it to him, and he gifted it to me with the understanding I'd also keep him stocked. I know what I'm doing this weekend!

20200226_174528.jpg

Bowkills

Nw oh
I on the other hand am not one to follow....most years I cut way in advance and almost make it all the way through. Weekly I'll burn through half a truckload in mild weather and almost full in cold shit. I worked way to much on side jobs last year and didn't have much stockpiled coming into this winter. I own a furnace for backup but am to cheap to go buy a tank as the old one got repoed due to a first time 70 dollar rental fee in 10yrs that I refused to pay 2years ago . So we r all wood heat and the current situation........
image.jpeg
I'll be making ruts tomorrow night!!!....that splitter is 8yrs old fires right up!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Excellent gift!
I used to like splitting with a maul when I was young
Now I couldn’t live without a splitter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Me too. Dad used to call me lighting as a kid. Lol. Hard to swing a 12# maul with 6# arms.