Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Show us your wood (pile)

Bowkills

Nw oh
image.jpeg
had to switch out some stove pipe today. I got my money's worth out of it. Swept the chimney as well. Got a bit smokey in here this morning. Probably smelled like a smoke house at church today.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
I need to do the same @Bowkills . I stopped at Tractor Supply just the other day to pick up some new stove pipe, however to my amazement, they didn't have any in stock and told me that they didn't receive their normal supply of stove pipe this year. So, I suppose I'll be looking someplace else for it.

I've been doing all kinds of wood work over the past week and just finished up replenishing my workshop with firewood.

I should be good to go now for the rest of the deer season so you guys can expect me to get back after it hoping to fill a buck tag.

I'll be heading out shortly.

My rescued dogs surly love the wood stove, especially when it's bitter cold out like today.
20200119_145132.jpg

Chass

The Hills
Got our new wood stove in and set up. This replaces an ancient cast iron rocket style stove I had installed last year that had a patented date of 1854 on it, it was pretty unsafe. At 350lb is was a lot of fun getting it off my truck and into the house, it looks like my proud dog did it all by herself from the picture but I promise I did it all by my damn self. Got it hooked up, chimney cleaned and inspected yesterday while it was nice so I could open all the doors and windows for the initial burn off and paint cure. So far this thing is awesome. Burned out by about 10pm and 12 hours later the stove was still warm on the exterior with a 100 degree+ firebox inside.
20200128_200600.jpg

Jamie

Ohio
I was in a similar situation three years ago. had a custom made woodburner that was here when we bought the house 20 years ago and it was woefully inefficient. It is unreal how much more efficient a quality modern wood stove with a baffle is than what I had. I literally burn 1/2 half the wood I used to and stay just as a warm. it takes this stove two to three days to go completely out, depending on how deep the coals and ashes are in the box. never have to worry about getting fired back up in the morning as there are always plenty of hot coals. One of the best things about it is the glass door. I had reservations about getting one with a glass door, but I'm very happy that I did. I love watching a fire. If I'm running it right, the glass hardly ever gets any soot on it for many days of non-stop burning. I settled on a Pacific Energy made in British Columbia. Looks very much like yours in size and design. I did pay the company I bought it through a few hundred dollars to deliver and install it as some pipe had to be refitted, and that project was above my pay grade. Absolutely love our stove. What brand is it that you got?

Chass

The Hills
Yeah we really like the glass as well, nothing like watching a fire. Dogs love it too. This is a Pleasant Hearth the large model rated for 2200sqft which we are in sub 1500 on one level. I installed the chimney system last year by myself, I did quite a bit of research before. It wasnt too complicated but it took awhile to get a full nights sleep again after I set it up. I try to check all the connections regularly. Its definitely dangerous stuff and you gotta respect it.

Question for you guys with indoor wood burners, is your insurance cost real high with having that installed? My dad had thought of getting one but I recall some from our family down there saying don't do it, the insurance will go through the roof. So he never did. Whenever we do get moved down I have really wanted to install a wood burner but just curious how bad it might impact that insurance cost.

Chass

The Hills
Question for you guys with indoor wood burners, is your insurance cost real high with having that installed? My dad had thought of getting one but I recall some from our family down there saying don't do it, the insurance will go through the roof. So he never did. Whenever we do get moved down I have really wanted to install a wood burner but just curious how bad it might impact that insurance cost.
I thought it would raise mine. Some companies probably will jack it up. I switched to geico last year after installing my burner and my costs through them are cheaper. I mentioned I was now primarily on wood heat but had electric for backup. They said as long as it was installed professionally, ya sure it was I'm a professional. I've heard from other people though where there insurance dropped them because they didnt have any central heating systems. So it's all about who you go with.

Reactions: Big_Holla

Jamie

Ohio
all insurance companies are going to consider a wood burning stove or fireplace when calculating their risk. how much more, if any, they would jack up the premium surely depends on the company, and whether or not the particular underwriter involved is getting laid regularly. shop around.