Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Show us your wood (pile)

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
2019-10-26_06.53.19[1].jpg

decision or decision, hmmm,,, I think I'll stay nice and dry right here by the fire...

Good luck to whomever makes it out there in the wet stuff this mornin!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Ground froze up (at least dried up and firmed up) enough to get the skid loader in my woods. Had an oak across the trail the last two summers. This year had another drop. It is massive. Used every bit of the 32" bar on the MS461. Hauled a load of dead ash. Have another load of ash to be hauled yet. Probably 3-4 loads of oak there. Still have the tree tops to haul out of the woods. Worst case scenario, all the big stuff is out. I can cut to length and haul with the RTV if we can't get a Bobcat in the woods. At least now I can make the loop around my woods. All the trails are opened back up. PLENTY of other dead and down trees awaiting.

Hauled a few loads of oak a couple weeks ago from a guy who had one cut down. Should be in good shape for a bit.

Attachments

• IMG_20191211_120504.jpg
    IMG_20191211_120504.jpg
    540.9 KB · Views: 461
  • IMG_20191211_120450.jpg
    IMG_20191211_120450.jpg
    568 KB · Views: 420

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Ground froze up (at least dried up and firmed up) enough to get the skid loader in my woods. Had an oak across the trail the last two summers. This year had another drop. It is massive. Used every bit of the 32" bar on the MS461. Hauled a load of dead ash. Have another load of ash to be hauled yet. Probably 3-4 loads of oak there. Still have the tree tops to haul out of the woods. Worst case scenario, all the big stuff is out. I can cut to length and haul with the RTV if we can't get a Bobcat in the woods. At least now I can make the loop around my woods. All the trails are opened back up. PLENTY of other dead and down trees awaiting.

Hauled a few loads of oak a couple weeks ago from a guy who had one cut down. Should be in good shape for a bit.

Heck yeah PHIL!!!👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
You work MUCH MORE smarter than me! Lol

Reactions: 5Cent

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Got a phone call. Mom's church had a bunch of trees cut down. Massive maple trees. One of the neighbors got most of it. They let me have the last one. Two more dump truck loads hauled today. I have some cutting to length, splitting, and stacking to do. Got some chainsaw and splitting time tonight. Felt great. I'm whooped.

Attachments

• IMG_20191213_122520.jpg
    IMG_20191213_122520.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 470
  • IMG_20191213_120744.jpg
    IMG_20191213_120744.jpg
    348.5 KB · Views: 489

Stressless

Keene, OH
3 rotating stacks, about 1.5M High x 1M sticks. Only Oak, Locast, Cheery, Beech, etc hard woods go on the stacks. The pulp wood gets burned or left where it falls.

I got really sick and cranky of soggy wood so I got some cool rubberish/plastic sheets 3"x 10' at Lowes - bolted 2 sheets lenghtwise and my stays good and dry now! The sheets haven't cracked or shown any sign of coming apart at all.

We start a fire on arrival and generally keep it going until we pack it up and leave - many a venison steak has kissed that grill on the keyhole fire set.

firepit.jpg

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
3 rotating stacks, about 1.5M High x 1M sticks. Only Oak, Locast, Cheery, Beech, etc hard woods go on the stacks. The pulp wood gets burned or left where it falls.

I got really sick and cranky of soggy wood so I got some cool rubberish/plastic sheets 3"x 10' at Lowes - bolted 2 sheets lenghtwise and my stays good and dry now! The sheets haven't cracked or shown any sign of coming apart at all.

We start a fire on arrival and generally keep it going until we pack it up and leave - many a venison steak has kissed that grill on the keyhole fire set.

View attachment 92819
When you get a minute, can you post a link for that rubber matting?

Reactions: Stressless

Stressless

Keene, OH
I drilled 5 - 3/16" holes along the overlapping seam between 2 panels, 1/2"bolt with washers and nyloc nut - all stainless, to put the two panels together. I get about 4" overhang with my ~1M log bunks.

One of the best things, I mean I hate wet soggy wood!, I've done at the farm. The short video is me just, "getting it hot and wet" LoL... ok I might have been nippin' the brown liquor...

Here's the stuff... https://tuftexpanel.com/products/polycarb-tuftex-panels.shtml

20190328_124035.jpg