Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Show us your wood (pile)

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
My first saw was a MS170 w/ 14" bar. It's great for limbing and cutting trails/lanes. It's light enough to hold overhead with one hand (not the safest I know) to cut limbs and you can still control it. I don't use it much now, but it was a good investment and I'm glad I have it. It's dependable, long paid for, paid for itself, and is there when I need it. It's a very manageable saw that you can easily "throw around".

twireman

Kingston, OH
any of you wood choppers have experience with smaller saws?

I have had one of these for the past two seasons. It completes my 3 saw plan perfectly. And damn powerful to boot. Also has a great warranty. It’s 0.3lbs heavier and 3cc bigger than the juggernaut stihl ms200t. Also the price is nice. Dad has been using the hell out of it cutting beams and other things on his cabin.

Last edited:

Jamie

Ohio
twireman, how do you like the top handle compared the standard rear handle design? seems like it would be more ergononmic, but I've not yet even picked one up, let alone run one.

twireman

Kingston, OH
twireman, how do you like the top handle compared the standard rear handle design? seems like it would be more ergononmic, but I've not yet even picked one up, let alone run one.

Honestly it feels pretty close to a regular saw. I buck a lot a logs 6-8” with it due to its weigh. I hold the logs at waist level with the front loader. If your ever around Chillicothe stop over and run it.

Jamie

Ohio
appreciate the offer.(y) after doing some reading and research I'm definitely down to the Echo or a Stihl 194T. cost is effectively the same. I'm gonna have to handle them both to make a decision. I'm a very happy Stihl power equipment owner for over 20 years, but it's awfully hard to get past a 5 year warranty for non-professional use and the glowing reviews from pro's who use the Echo and prefer it over it's Stihl counterpart. thanks for the input, gents.

is it normal that buying a new chainsaw is slightly arousing? asking for a friend.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
appreciate the offer.(y) after doing some reading and research I'm definitely down to the Echo or a Stihl 194T. cost is effectively the same. I'm gonna have to handle them both to make a decision. I'm a very happy Stihl power equipment owner for over 20 years, but it's awfully hard to get past a 5 year warranty for non-professional use and the glowing reviews from pro's who use the Echo and prefer it over it's Stihl counterpart. thanks for the input, gents.

is it normal that buying a new chainsaw is slightly arousing? asking for a friend.

Why yes, yes it is.....bbooooooing!

Bowkills

Nw oh

I've beat the dogshit out of Stihl products and work my whole career. I don't think I've heard bad words toward them unless they've been rebuilt.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
It was a long ass day today behind a computer. Kids were super needy and my wife was gone. I did 7 straight hours before I broke and had to get outside. I'll finish up the paper work later, it was time for some real work. The walnut is split and stacked. Cleaned up an area of junk to make this stack. It'll get great sun morning through midafternoon, but still has some overhead cover to keep the rain off. I'll take it up to 4', then call it good. I have some red oak to go on top to finish it off.

IMG_20200416_193054_762.jpg

Jamie

Ohio
I had a day of 5 hours holding a chainsaw. dropped a large 24" dead ash and a 20" dead pignut hickory, both about 50-60' tall. by coincidence, they were only about 30 yards apart in the middle of the woods. some choice fire wood. both had been dead for at least a couple of years. good wood, little to no decay. I'm here to tell you, sawing thoroughly dried Pignut hickory is like cutting solid steel compared to dry ash, and this is with a brand new bar and freshly sharpened chain. dry ash was like cutting soft butter compared to the hickory. not much little stuff to cut on these two, just had to buck the large rounds. Nancy couldn't lift such large heavy pieces, so I had to load them all into the cart. she ran the loads out of the woods to a nice flat place that we can drive truck, trailer, and splitter right to it. she dumped, rolled pieces out of the cart on her own while I kept the saw running. I was plain whipped after finishing bucking out the ash. it's still sitting in the woods. I'll go fetch it this weekend. I still have three large red oaks to cut up that the power company dropped on the edge of the easement, too. they dropped them and limbed them from the top down. pretty easy saw work for me now. I'm gonna have a mess of really choice firewood for the next few years. best I've ever had, probably.

My MS290 has been one heck of a good saw. ran like a champ yesterday, again, like it always has. it will be 20 years old in August. had my hands on a Stihl 194T yesterday, too. meh. didn't thrill me. probably swing by the local Echo dealer today to handle the 355T. The owner of the local shop that was assisting me with my shopping pushed me pretty hard toward the 180. It's an honest salesman who would try to talk me into spending $150 less. small business, you gotta love it.

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
I had a day of 5 hours holding a chainsaw. dropped a large 24" dead ash and a 20" dead pignut hickory, both about 50-60' tall. by coincidence, they were only about 30 yards apart in the middle of the woods. some choice fire wood. both had been dead for at least a couple of years. good wood, little to no decay. I'm here to tell you, sawing thoroughly dried Pignut hickory is like cutting solid steel compared to dry ash, and this is with a brand new bar and freshly sharpened chain. dry ash was like cutting soft butter compared to the hickory. not much little stuff to cut on these two, just had to buck the large rounds. Nancy couldn't lift such large heavy pieces, so I had to load them all into the cart. she ran the loads out of the woods to a nice flat place that we can drive truck, trailer, and splitter right to it. she dumped, rolled pieces out of the cart on her own while I kept the saw running. I was plain whipped after finishing bucking out the ash. it's still sitting in the woods. I'll go fetch it this weekend. I still have three large red oaks to cut up that the power company dropped on the edge of the easement, too. they dropped them and limbed them from the top down. pretty easy saw work for me now. I'm gonna have a mess of really choice firewood for the next few years. best I've ever had, probably.

My MS290 has been one heck of a good saw. ran like a champ yesterday, again, like it always has. it will be 20 years old in August. had my hands on a Stihl 194T yesterday, too. meh. didn't thrill me. probably swing by the local Echo dealer today to handle the 355T. The owner of the local shop that was assisting me with my shopping pushed me pretty hard toward the 180. It's an honest salesman who would try to talk me into spending $150 less. small business, you gotta love it.

Didn’t happen without pics!! 😎

Reactions: Jamie

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
[mention]Iowa_Buckeye [/mention] That is a lotta btu’s laying there..good score

I still have no idea why I am so infatuated with cutting wood right now. We don’t heat with wood (our fireplace is a gas log...) and are lucky if we burn our fire pit a handful of times a year. Good exercise I guess. And I love the ‘perfume’ smell of 2 stroke exhaust and fresh cut wood!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I still have no idea why I am so infatuated with cutting wood right now. We don’t heat with wood (our fireplace is a gas log...) and are lucky if we burn our fire pit a handful of times a year. Good exercise I guess. And I love the ‘perfume’ smell of 2 stroke exhaust and fresh cut wood!

Same. This is my fireplace. We burn our fire pit maybe a dozen times. I supply TOO outings also, but don't really need to cute wood. I love the "perume" of the whole process start to finish. And it's great exercise!

20200417_204054.jpg