Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Shooting past your house

P8riot

Carbon, In
I have a 200 yard shot on my property. I have to shoot past my house. I could set up so I would be missing my house by 60 feet. The house is about half way, so 100 yards. I have told a couple people and they look at me like I'm nuts. I don't see what the big deal is. I would obviously only be shooting rifles! AND I suppose I would make sure my wife isn't in the house...depending on the day and her attitude.

I guess I could understand some people's reactions, but some were gun people. I know accidents happen, but it would be fixable in the .0001% chance something happens. 🤣

I don't think its that bad of an idea?!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I would never shoot past my house like that. I’m always paranoid of the “it only takes one” type of situations. That being said, I do have a range alongside one of my barns where if I stretch it back to 200 yds or more I’ll be shooting past it. Not sure I will or not.

Reactions: P8riot and Hedgelj

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Unless there was no one inside i couldn't do it. Too much of a risk (for me) of someone having a momentarily lapse of knowledge and ending up in my bullet's flight path.

Now if i was alone and no one in the house or everyone was on the shooting line with me.... then i could handle it.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Go for it! I do it all the time.

I live in the woods where every year I deal with the orange army and none of the five buildings of ours, house included, have been hit yet, knock on wood!

I have faith in our hunters that hunt our area every year, day and night, with either rifles, shotguns and/or modern day firearms all the time. I live in the country, so this is not an un-expectation of any kind.

Reactions: P8riot

Fletch

Supporting Member
Unless your a relative of that famous movie actor..... I wouldn't do it... When it comes to firearm safety I'm beyond safe... I passed on a huge buck once in Illinois cause he was on the crest of a hill... All farm land over that hill and no houses, but what if that slug hit a hunter... Slim chance but a chance... After that buck tempted me and left.... Low and behold 10 minutes later came back out to the same spot where he left the doe... SOB... Finally walked off never to be seen again....

Reactions: P8riot

P8riot

Carbon, In
Ofcourse noone would be inside 🤣

I plan on building a rammed earth tire backstop to stop anything from traveling beyond the known. There is nothing back there for miles, but like stated...better safe than sorry.

Reactions: Fletch

P8riot

Carbon, In
Give him one back

1675101284661.png