Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Shark Week in NC

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Spent last week in NC with the family . Usually I occupy the hunter/gatherer part of my brain by slipping out flounder gigging a couple nights but we went to a new area I was unfamiliar with and my daytime meandering never turned up a spot that looked to great .
Luckily the sharks were plentiful off the beach . We caught a decent number each day once we started targeting them . We also caught some decent sized rays .
12115.jpeg

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
The swimmers definitely cleared out for a bit after we caught a decent sized shark . 2 of those onlookers are my son and nephew .

Reactions: 5Cent

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Good stuff man. Surf fishing is a blast. Too bad you couldn't find a place to gig some flounder.

OO2

In the Uplands
That’s awesome, congrats! Were you targeting the sharks with cut/live bait?

I heard that it was ray mating season when I was surf fishing last week and that’s why they were so prevalent( I typically rarely catch the rays)Not sure if that applies to your area or not.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
We used cut croakers ,whiting , and bluefish on a 8/0 circle hooks. We normally catch a few rays . I should have turned them into cutbait as well but there was alot of people around so I didn't wanna cause too much commotion by cutting up a ray into cut bait sized pieces on the beach 4th of July week .

I really missed out on the gigging . We normally stay at another island and I have a couple spots there I do well .

The combination of being in a new area , and the tide cycle being way off for good gigging condition all week kept me from going . ....I really like flounder gigging alot.