Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Sgt’s November story

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Last months story was about the work involved getting my new blind set up for this season. A friend of mine came out to help me and he was so impressed with the lay of the land and the scenery, that he TOO, wanted to get some land of his own to hunt. I told him that I was hunting state land for years and every time I came out to hunt, I would take one or two days to look at land that was in my price range. I looked at a lot of places before I found one that I liked. I also told him not to jump on the first one he saw as it may take some time to find a good one. When we finished the work on my blind in April, we still had a couple of days free so we decided to look for some land.

We went to a local realtor that I’m friends with and told him that my friend was looking for hunting land that had a building on it to serve as a hunting camp. The realtor said he had one not TOO far away. We looked at the home which also had a garage and a wooden shed that was falling down. After checking out the dwellings, we walked the woods. It is only 39 acres but is in a great location. After about an hour of wandering, my friend came back to the vehicles parked in the driveway. He said that if he found just one shed, he was going to make an offer on the spot....but he didn’t find any. I told him to look on my tailgate. There were three sheds that I found in about ten minutes in the woods including a matched set. I then told him to forget what I said about not jumping on the first one, as this was a real good property. He made an offer that was accepted and we made plans to come back in September to get the camp ready for the season.

September was very hot. We went to a few stores and bought an air conditioner, cleaning supplies, a lawn mower, light fixtures, plumbing supplies, wall heaters (propane), water, canned goods, coffee maker and toaster, and later on a washer and dryer. I had a lot of stuff from when I had a camp in north central Pennsylvania that I brought up also. We worked our asses off from morning until late in the evening. We placed stands, cameras and put out some bait to try and get some pictures of what the local herd looked like. We contacted some neighbors who were more than friendly. The area is kinda remote so the neighbors aren’t right next to the camp, but only a couple minute drive. They knew the previous owners and told us of big parties that they used to throw. One of the neighbors has a backhoe and dozer, so my friend contracted him to clean up the trails that were getting to be overgrown. We gave him a key to the garage and bought a lot of corn so that he could keep the stands baited. Plus he could keep an eye on the camp. When we went there for hunting season in November, we tied up some loose ends and began hunting. I ended up getting my deer early and as predicted in my October post, I ended up being “kitchen bitch” for the next two weeks. I didn’t mind as at least I had company. It’s a big step up from staying in a hotel and not having the commradery that comes with being in a camp. Here are some pictures of camp and the sheds I found.
80936008-BEA7-4AA0-9A1A-F06FB2051CB4.jpeg
F89A97C4-7155-44F3-86D5-DB55672CF0FF.jpeg
AAD912BB-85AA-421B-8FA6-8F788D770A52.jpeg
131B6441-1551-4D66-9EB8-2FD1E9CEE537.jpeg

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Pretty awesome stuff sarge! How far were the matched set from each other? Found right side tips down and left side tips up I see🤟🏻

Reactions: Sgt Fury