Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Sgt’s 2019 Ohio buck harvest

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Sunday November 3rd will sitting all day, I had a buck come from behind my blind and to the right. I didn’t expect deer to come from that way. The windows have camo but I put up a towel over the rear windows so that I wouldn’t be skylined when deer looked toward the blind from the front windows. When this buck was ten yards away, I noticed movement and turned my head that way. He picked up something as he looked directly at me. It was then that I realized he saw me because both side windows are not covered and he could still see me move because of being skylined. He walked down a ravine, up the side hill then down into the bottom ravine. He never spooked but was wary. I couldn’t tell if he was a shooter or not...only that he had eight points. At dark I heard him grunting and bawling. Branches were breaking and I’m guessing he was fighting another buck, or possibly chasing a doe through the brush.

The next all day sit was Monday November 4th. Only saw two does in the am. Around 5:25 I heard a deer approaching and had the foresite to put a trash bag over the side window so as to not repeat the mistake from the night before. He came down the same trail and when he finally got to a point in which I could see him out of the front window, he was locked into the blind and staring at it. I still couldn’t tell it was my target buck but could tell it was the same one from the night before.

When he took another step forward, I could see the split brow and that’s when my heart really started pumping! It took him about ten minutes to move ten yards...constantly staring at the blind. He was on full alert. As soon as he went behind a clump of trees, I grabbed my crossbow, turning off the safety and pointing it toward the window. As soon as he cleared the trees, he gave one more glance in my direction then committed to cross in front of me. In one motion, I snuck the crossbow out of the window, found him in the scope (he was almost broadside but slightly quartering away) and settled the 20 yard dot on his shoulder and squeezed the trigger. At the shot, he jumped up and bumbled out of there like Jerome Bettis picking his way between the tackle and guard. He ran right past my trailcam and today I swapped cards to see if it caught him passing by. That dirty bastard ran to the very bottom of the ravine. I picked up the blood trail and found him in the small creek. He only traveled about 80 yards but it was downhill all of the way.

I put a tag on him and called to check him in. This morning was tough. It took me a couple hours to get him out....30 feet at a time with the wench. The rain made the hillside very slippery. Finally got him to my truck and loaded him up. I only took as he lay pics because I would’ve had to take the gopro out of its waterproof housing to sync the wifi remote and didn’t want to ruin the electronics. Dropped him off at the butcher then back to the hotel for a well deserved hot shower! Already looking forward to next year, but I’ve got a feeling that if I get another one, he’s going to run his ass to the bottom of that ravine! I’m getting to old for this shit!😂
Side note: I use rage broadheads and am very disappointed by the bloodtrails over the past two seasons. I took out both lungs and the top of the heart. You can see the exit wound in one of the pics...just above the elbow joint. Complete pass through and trail was not easy to follow in the dark. I’m going to have to check out a different brand for next year.
78DBB957-ADBF-4571-B3FF-0768BC863FB1.jpeg
114C28CF-24B6-4931-A0DF-1A8A948F0BAE.jpeg
3C21D72D-545E-4464-B649-87B06D7EADC5.jpeg
165D10F1-0DAA-4500-8D2E-8F189B9F20CC.jpeg
653A32E3-10D5-4878-A986-4D453E539FED.jpeg
F4889D1E-AE49-4C31-87FB-066D2BAA1586.jpeg

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Well shit that was quick. That’s a fine buck and your season in Ohio is over. Bitter sweet depending on how you look at it. Congrats Sgt, making killing mature bucks look easy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sgt Fury

Smawgunner

Athens
Congrats and good report! These old guys are aged for a reason. I had a buck come from behind my stand on Saturday and all I did was scoot back in my seat 3 inches to prepare for the shot and that bastard busted me. I'm up 18 feet! He must have snorted 15-20 times.....he was none too happy. Then proceeded to hang out behind me as if to say FU...rattling some branches. Then like a ghost he was gone.

Reactions: Mike and Sgt Fury

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Awesome man! Gonna have to figure out that you can afford to take a couple of days vacation for one of our outings! Two years in a row you tagged out right away. Congrats again!
Just got word today that Verizon is offering a buyout. I may be retired by December 22nd. Won’t have to worry about vacation so I’ll make one of these outings for sure!😁

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Congrats @Sgt Fury on that great targeted Ohio buck of yours!

He's got some cool lookin brows on him.

You surely don't mess around when it comes to killing good bucks, that's for sure!

Have a safe trip back home, and best of luck to you on that Jersey 10, although I'm thinking you're not gonna need it based off your proven track record in taking down good deer.

Congrats again, and I hope that you do make it to one of the 'TOO' outings in the near future. I'd like to meet you in person someday.

Last edited:

Fletch

Supporting Member
Fantastic buck and great story to go with it there Fury... All that hard work getting that blind up in the summer paid off big time... You earned it buddy CONGRATS again on a Gorgeous Buck... Now get back to Jersey and get that 10...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Great buck man! Congrats.

I switched from Rages for the same reason. Deadly, but the blood trails were lacking. Lots of great options out there. I elected to go to something that leaves holes, not slits. So far, so good!

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
Way to get it done! I’d assume you should have had a massive blood trail with that hit. No matter what type of broadhead!! He must have been packing the mail on his way down the hill.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia