Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Second Rut????

Fletch

Supporting Member
So the other day while out in search of Casper I seen where two scrapes from back in Nov. were opened up??? Thinking some does comming into heat that were not bred...

PXL_20201223_203252776.jpg

at1010

*Supporting Member*
A doe fawn that reaches 70lbs will come into heat in their first year of life. In good habitat, this happens and often can result in additional rutting/chasing or simply a doe that wasn’t bred, cycles back again.

Nice scrapes!!

at1010

*Supporting Member*
This thread reminded me, I shot a buck about 6 years ago on the 3rd day of Ohio gun. Came up over a ridge chasing a doe, grunting like sob! I shot him at 8 yards, he was totally rutted up.

Hot does will do that to a buck!

Chancegriffis

Salesville ohio
So I sat this afternoon from 230 to about 8pm. Had deer all over me from about 500pm til 745. Had two separate 3.5/4 year old bucks chase around the same group of five does for over an hour in this little 10 acre piece of bottom... it was like the first week of November all over again. Watch the smaller of two bucks breed a doe about fifteen feet from my climber. Absolutely amazing sit even though I froze my ass off! My split brow 8 has been MIA for the last 6 days and I’m just praying he’s still alive. But going back to chasing, that buck was also Mia for the last two weeks of the first swing of rut as well... hoping I see him again before he drops horns.... all and all a great observation sit and going back in the am