Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Scouting

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'll be out tomorrow for the first time. Got some chores to take care, plus a little shed hunting, so I'll be there for the crack of light to see if anything is talking.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I’ve been out a couple mornings. They have been gobbling. Been seeing some sporadically from the house. Nothing like last year yet. Warmer weather this week should improve things.

Reactions: Isaacorps

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
76347C55-252F-4C55-A2E7-F3067D756942.gif

Pile of birds in Beaver County this year. I have multiple birds on each property of have checked thus far this year. Started my rotation about a week ago. I have about 15 locations so I try to make it to all of them once a week to pattern. As season gets closer I will pick 2 or 3 of these properties and lock the birds down for good.

Gobbling has been really good on the roost but they are pretty henned up at the moment so post fly down they shut up pretty much within 15 mins. Evening gobbling has been surprisingly good with the warm weather. Usually when it warms up they don't gobble on the roost at night.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Brother and SIL are in for a week for a visit. SIL wakes up too sit out on the back screened in porch too watch sunrise and listen too wildlife waking up. Especially now that the turkeys are very active. She’s been getting a kick outta them gobbling on the roost and after fly down..... She was listening too one gobbling a couple hundred yards away on a field edge.... Then boom!!!!! End of gobbling 😂😂😂 She walked in and said someone shot the turkey, yep welcome too turkey season 😂😂😂

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Brother and SIL are in for a week for a visit. SIL wakes up too sit out on the back screened in porch too watch sunrise and listen too wildlife waking up. Especially now that the turkeys are very active. She’s been getting a kick outta them gobbling on the roost and after fly down..... She was listening too one gobbling a couple hundred yards away on a field edge.... Then boom!!!!! End of gobbling 😂😂😂 She walked in and said someone shot the turkey, yep welcome too turkey season 😂😂😂
How come it wasn’t you doing the shooting?

Reactions: Big_Holla

Bowkills

Nw oh
I saw two toms heading across a field today. I thought if I could hunt with a rifle I'd probably hunt turkeys. No camo just see them out in the field plunk them like ghogs. It'd be worth buying a tag. Once the state lets you get a turkey with a small game tag I'll go again. Won't happen for me unless a kid is interested. Cool bird but not worth the time.

whitetailjunky3

I saw two toms heading across a field today. I thought if I could hunt with a rifle I'd probably hunt turkeys. No camo just see them out in the field plunk them like ghogs. It'd be worth buying a tag. Once the state lets you get a turkey with a small game tag I'll go again. Won't happen for me unless a kid is interested. Cool bird but not worth the time.
We have turkey around here lol I’ll mine crossed the state line!

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I'd think the rifle bullet would do a ton of meat damage.

I doubt we'll ever see them as part of the small game tag. TOO much $$ considering they (ODNR DOW) can't manage wildlife for shit for keeping hunters happy, they do a nice job if you don't want to hit one with a car though.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Mason went out this morning. He heard 8 separate gobblers, saw a couple too. He called a hen up and fooled with her for a while. She wouldn’t leave so he kept talking turkey and walked to her. She still wouldn’t leave. She was pretty sure she was hanging with the ugliest turkey she had ever met. For those that think you can educate a dumb turkey, he videotaped the encounter with his phone.