Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

FYI Scouting Deer in 2D: How to find deer on a topo map.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I promised a different style of content this year and we're ready to start putting it out. Shout out to the legendary @Gordo for planting this seed in my mind years ago. In review, I left some info out and I have another area of the state I want to share is a similar video assuming you guys like this type of content. Give it a watch and let me know your thoughts. (y)

Fletch

Supporting Member
Good info.... Everyone should learn to read a topo map and take the time to study one of the area you hunt or plan to hunt... I'm constantly looking over areas I may want to try... Esp. use them here in North Jersey where the topography is always changing... Helps me pick out wet lands and swamps where bears hang out... So many uses and they will make you a better hunter... Using them along with a compass also prevents you from spending a night in a large area that you don't know... Oh yeh... One other thing I been checking out land that's for sale... Gives me a feel if someone's selling a cliff...

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Welp, I’ll be watching this a few times.

Awesome stuff Jesse.

I’ve owned the farm for years and by studying maps, I have learned and found areas I have over looked numerous times. I appreciate the time you put into creating this, amazing resource.

Fletch

Supporting Member
A topo would be very valuable when you guys get together and put on drives.... Help position standers and give the drivers a feel for the land....

Reactions: bowhunter1023

Fletch

Supporting Member
Yup... Jesse started a good topic... Topo will come in handy this May chasing gobblers... Gives you a big edge knowing the land when working a bird as no matter how good of a caller you are birds hang up and topography plays a big part to their hanging up... Plus it will help you when using run and gun tactics as you can better plan how you wanna get in front of that big tom...