Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Saturday Success

As I said before, my heart just isn't into gun season. So I'm sitting here Saturday morning and my phone rings. "You need to get down here and help me out." So the wife and I hop in the truck and head to our cabin. We get there I jump on my tractor and head for the very back of my property to find by best friend and hunting partner, Jeff. I find him and he asks, "can we get that tractor down there?" I said "yeah we can get it down there, getting it back up with a deer in the trailer, maybe not." So against my better judgement off I go.

At the back of my property is a huge ravine that is not terribly deep, but the sides are almost straight up and down. No, I wasn't about to take my old tractor in to that ravine. But I did take it down hill about 80 yards to the lip of the ravine. My buddy somehow muscled the beast out of the ravine and we loaded him into the trailer. He had already field dressed the deer before getting him out of the ravine.

"Here goes nothin." I fired up the tractor, gave her some throttle, slipped the shift lever to sixth gear, looked to the heavens and dumped the clutch. To my astonishment the old Craftsman went up that 80 yards of slope without a hitch. Probably not a good thing to happen, God knows where I will take it next.

After many hours chasing our two shooters this season Jeff finally pulled the trigger on the first buck he ever had come to a grunt call. He grunted in this 8 point from about 150 yards to less than 35 yards before taking the shot. Not one of the big ones we were after, but he said grunting the deer in for a shot was more than he could take. I was happy to see him kill his first deer in 7 seasons. He, like myself, is a buck hunter and has put in many hours hoping to take a deer of a lifetime. I can't wait until the day that happens for him.
DSCF6621v2.JPG

Fletch

Supporting Member
Dick.... Congrats to your friend on a very nice buck.. That old Craftsman is like the Energizer bunny... Just keeps chugging along...

Reactions: finelyshedded