Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Safety harnesses and other safety

Jamie

Ohio
I looked into this a few year ago when I got on the lifeline bandwagon. was not worth my time to make them myself. the last ones I bought were the HSS three pack and I paid $76 to my door for it from Amazon. they are $95 now. still, $30 for this kind of additional safety and piece of mind is a no-brainer when I happily spend $250 on one tree stand. I have a safety line for every stand I put up now

I bet these are all made in China.

I looked into this a few year ago when I got on the lifeline bandwagon. was not worth my time to make them myself. the last ones I bought were the HSS three pack and I paid $76 to my door for it from Amazon. they are $95 now. still, $30 for this kind of additional safety and piece of mind is a no-brainer when I happily spend $250 on one tree stand. I have a safety line for every stand I put up now

I bet these are all made in China.

Even the climbing rope, at least the affordable rope you could come close to the price with.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Still the best deal on the net. I've been treestand hunting since 2001 and this will be my first lifeline. Kids will get you thinking differently about your climbs.

Screenshot_20200715-213138_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Jamie

Ohio
I wish everyone who used a treestand would use these. I climb ladders, get on roofs, climb ladders on roofs:eek:, and all sorts of similar dangerous shit routinely. I'm not afraid of heights, but as I've gotten older, my fear of falling has grown. I have never felt, or have actually been, safer in a tree than with a safety line. it takes about 5 extra minutes to install while hanging a stand. unless the damn squirrels start chewing on them, they will last a long, long time. maybe indefinitely. best money you can spend on deer hunting, imo.

Lifelines are the way to go. The fact you can stay attached from ground, up and back down again is the best feeling of security. Then when you are up there you can adjust the amount of tension on your strap either by sliding it up a little more or down, provided you put the top of the lifeline high enough that is. We have them on every hang-on and almost all ladder stands. Still could use a few more and a few new to replace some older ones. Hang-ons is where you realize the importance of them the most. As I get older I have realized it only takes a slipped hand, a shifting stand or a cramp/tired muscle and you could easily lose your grip and fall.

Geezer II

Bountiful Hunting Grounds Beyond.
portage county oh
Back in the day we made our own tree stands - screw in steps to get up the tree - haul up the stand with a rope and hook it up - no safety strap of stuff - dang lucky - then i got a climber - two piece took it out in the back field - didn't teather the foot part to the seat - climbed up the tree - wow this was neat - sat there look n around and took my feet out of the toe straps and the foot board fell to the ground - i couldn't get back down - sat their till the wife got home from work and we roped the foot board back up

That made me totally study safety and suspension trauma and get rigged for safety and a way to get down if hanging in a harness. Don't know but i guess we were lucky and dumb back then

Reactions: Big_Holla and Jamie

Jamie

Ohio
I agree 100%. for a simple as it is, it does make a difference. I know this because a couple of times I've pushed the rubber cover up to turn the carabiner and forgot to pull it back over the carabiner. the first move I made, CLANK.

Reactions: Big_Holla

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
The other feature about the 'LIFELINE' brand are the reflective materials within the line itself.

I 'TOO' have them on all of my hang-on and ladder tree-stands and have been using them for about three years now. I like them a lot and yes, I feel very safe using them from the ground up and back down.

When heading to the field during the dark, your minor light picks them up real easy because of that reflective material in the line. Makes it real nice when it's been a while since you used that setup and possibly start to have some difficulty finding your way during the dark hours. Trust me, those lines stand out with very minimal amount of light hitting them. I've had hunters never hunt my place and/or setups before. I simple give them a basic direction to go and they were able to find them just fine because of that reflective material.

The person that originally designed them did that not just for hunter's ease, I'm sure, but if ever in the event of an accident and someone else had the head out to find you during the dark. Good thinking on their part!

I stand behind the product a 100% and would recommend that all persons use them or equivalent when climbing into a permanent fixed tree-stand.

Insuring your safe return home to your family should be the minimum deciding factor, at least that's why I bought them originally. I'm not afraid of heights and I've put myself in some hairy situations in the past. I am afraid of having to depend on someone else if I was to ever screw myself up and it could've been easily avoided.

So, get yourself a LIFELINE for all your tree-stand setups for your family's sake at least. I'm sure they all would appreciate it far more than any deer harvest.

Safety first!

Jamie

Ohio
lucky and careful, Geezer. don't miss what you haven't had. I would be reluctant to climb into any stand today without a safety line, and would not do it without a harness to attach once I got up there. did it hundreds of times without one, though.

Back in the day we made our own tree stands - screw in steps to get up the tree - haul up the stand with a rope and hook it up - no safety strap of stuff - dang lucky - then i got a climber - two piece took it out in the back field - didn't teather the foot part to the seat - climbed up the tree - wow this was neat - sat there look n around and took my feet out of the toe straps and the foot board fell to the ground - i couldn't get back down - sat their till the wife got home from work and we roped the foot board back up

That made me totally study safety and suspension trauma and get rigged for safety and a way to get down if hanging in a harness. Don't know but i guess we were lucky and dumb back then

Yep, I can remember my first safety strap was a rope tied around my waist. Had I fallen it likely would have cinched up nice and tight around my guts. Then I had my dad make me a strap which was just 1" webbing material with a big loop sewn into it that I could wrap the strap around and tie it into that loop. Sewn heavy duty and it worked for the most part but just the same, likely would have likely strangled me. Looking back we are lucky at times we can still type replies here today!!