Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ruger American .450 Bushmaster

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I absolutely love mine, J! I'm sure you will too. I don't shoot enough to justify reloading so I have not looked into any of the limitations of the cartridge. All I know is that thing will drive tacks relative to any slug gun I've ever seen and will knock deer flat when hit.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I bought 60 rounds at Bud’s along with my brother to save on shipping, cost was around 25 if I remember right with shipping. Based on all the reading I did I went with the Hornady Black ftx 250 grain. So far the grouping was what it said it’s be. Like I said I’ll playbarou with the 100 and 200 yard point of impacts to find a happy medium. Probably won’t ever shoot that far but it’s always nice to have that in the bank...

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Here it is.

Lacking a rim, shoulder or belt on which to headspace, the case must headspace on its mouth, like a typical autoloading pistol cartridge (.45 ACP, etc.). This prevents the use of a roll crimp, as used by most big bore rifle cartridges, to keep the bullet in place during recoil.

Hornady warns:

"It is important NOT to use a heavy roll crimp when loading bullets with cannelures, like the 240 and 300 grain XTP-MAG. Using too much roll crimp can allow the cartridge to travel too far into the chamber and not fire, or worse yet fire with too much headspace, which can create an unsafe condition."

This is a warning from the people who developed the cartridge, so take it to heart. As you can see, the limitations inherent in the AR-15 action necessarily resulted in a compromised cartridge design. The rebated rim, short case length, .452 inch (handgun) bullet diameter, poor bullet sectional density (SD), lack of a roll crimp and headspacing on the case mouth are all inherent design limitations that degrade the cartridges reliability, performance and (potentially) safety.

https://www.chuckhawks.com/450_bushmaster.html

Wow, definitely good info too know... Thanks a million for the heads up.....

eloucha

Columbus Ohio
I want buy one. Any advice here. Tiered from my benelli m2 carrying and I want try some else not slug. I am thinking abt that 450 bushmaster.don’t get me wrong love my benelli

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jackalope

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I want buy one. Any advice here. Tiered from my benelli m2 carrying and I want try some else not slug. I am thinking abt that 450 bushmaster.don’t get me wrong love my benelli

Sent from my iPhone Admin note: Please go in to your app settings and disable signatures.

Welcome to the site, it’s light, it’s accurate, it’s chraper to shoot then a shotgun shooting sabots. And it’s accurate....
You can find the ammo for around $25 for 20 rounds which is much better than $15 for 5.
With a muzzle brake on the end of the barrel it is loud to shoot, especially at the range so hearing protection is a must.

Reactions: eloucha

eloucha

Columbus Ohio

Sent from my iPhone Admin note: Please go in to your app settings and disable signatures.

Welcome to the site, it’s light, it’s accurate, it’s chraper to shoot then a shotgun shooting sabots. And it’s accurate....
You can find the ammo for around $25 for 20 rounds which is much better than $15 for 5.
With a muzzle brake on the end of the barrel it is loud to shoot, especially at the range so hearing protection is a must.
Sorry I know is ur post I am not trying to get it but before I invest on my new one can I ask u what scoop did get since I like to go one trip to store. And how abt the kick on it. Since is light Weight. I see is accurate but I wish I shoot one before I buy. It. That why I like to take advise from real hunter. Not reading s reviews online. Thanks again guys for all the info u provide.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Sorry I know is ur post I am not trying to get it but before I invest on my new one can I ask u what scoop did get since I like to go one trip to store. And how abt the kick on it. Since is light Weight. I see is accurate but I wish I shoot one before I buy. It. That why I like to take advise from real hunter. Not reading s reviews online. Thanks again guys for all the info u provide.

No problem about posting here.

I went with the Vortex Crossfire II in 2-7x32 and it’s an accurate setup out too 200 yards so far, I still have a little range time to finish zeroing it in but it’ll only take one more trip.

Recoil is about equal to a 20 ga, if you have a Benelli it’ll probably be like it or less. I like the lightness of it as walking around all day doing deer drives will show by he end of the day.

Another plus I liked was it’s a bolt action and not a lever or semi. I’m a fan of the bolt action and synthetic stock as deer drives take a toll on wood.

eloucha

Columbus Ohio

No problem about posting here.

I went with the Vortex Crossfire II in 2-7x32 and it’s an accurate setup out too 200 yards so far, I still have a little range time to finish zeroing it in but it’ll only take one more trip.

Recoil is about equal to a 20 ga, if you have a Benelli it’ll probably be like it or less. I like the lightness of it as walking around all day doing deer drives will show by he end of the day.

Another plus I liked was it’s a bolt action and not a lever or semi. I’m a fan of the bolt action and synthetic stock as deer drives take a toll on wood.

I see. Make sense to me. My benelli is 12 g and have the drive recoil. Last year is hard to carry a benelli in field all day that my point I like walking long hrs. Is the fun of the nature and woods. Plus it can be mounted on new bracket I fabricated to mount in my Jeep. Lol my 2 cents

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
You can also do the .450 in an AR platform if you prefer that as well.
We have a member who doesn’t post a lot anymore but I would call him our resident go to guy on that matter. You can try and PM MKII to see if he can help you out if you’re more interested in the AR platform.

eloucha

Columbus Ohio
You can also do the .450 in an AR platform if you prefer that as well.
We have a member who doesn’t post a lot anymore but I would call him our resident go to guy on that matter. You can try and PM MKII to see if he can help you out if you’re more interested in the AR platform.

Honestly first time I heard abt it. To converted u mean .i been saving for it I like to add more to my collection but is interesting to learn abt it too does hurt to educate myself

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
The AR15 lower will work with a .450 upper, but the upper will cost more then the Ruger American in .450 so in value wise its cheaper to go with the Ruger.

Reactions: eloucha

eloucha

Columbus Ohio
I wish. I was here more in this forum. I use more Jeep Wrangler forum but today I said let me check this page. And seems I meet a nice guy helping me thanks for al ur advice u make it clear u made my day.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I wish. I was here more in this forum. I use more Jeep Wrangler forum but today I said let me check this page. And seems I meet a nice guy helping me thanks for al ur advice u make it clear u made my day.

Glad I could help in a small way... There’s lots of folks on this site that do the same on a daily basis... And you’re welcome....