Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ric's Daughter Karissa.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
We had some wonderful uplifting news late last week after K had some X-rays done here locally and reviewed by the neck and spine Dr at OSU Wexner. She can start to wean herself off the neck brace a few hours a day which was HUGE for her mental and physical state. It’s been very difficult and uncomfortable for her to wear this thing 24/7 over the past 6.5 weeks. Her smiles and laughs come much more often now thanks to this blessing. She still has to be very careful when out of the brace but it’s at least a step in the right direction. She’s also added a few more stationary arm exercises into her daily regiment and will hopefully be out of the wheelchair in 3-4 more weeks doing the more aggressive rehab. It’s just going to take time and a lot of patience. That’s for the continued prayers and support.👍🏻🙏❤️

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
It’s been about a month since I’ve updated for which I apologize. I’ve been working 10 hours a day since going back with a 12 day stretch in there with no day off.
Karissa has been making progress slowly but surely. She was able to start getting up and walking very slowly using a cane some for the first time this past weekend, Saturday actually. She has only done short walks thus far till tonight her and her mom walked a little ways down our street. This is really good for her morale as bouts of depression have been an issue from time to time over the course of the past few months. Gaining back some of her independence has really been a good thing in reducing the occurrences of those dark depressing moods.
She’s been going to TP twice a week working with a therapist along with increased at home exercises.
She’s also been resuming some of her online course studies and final exams in her optometry classes at OSU. She’s still has a few more finals to study for a take but they have been absolutely amazing and flexible during this ordeal for which we are totally grateful.
My mom was able to make her way down this past weekend for our first visit in person since Christmas which was really nice. She was amazed how well K has progressed since she’s only seen her via FaceTime talks since a few weeks after the accident. She brought us some fresh home made bread and cinnamon rolls that also put a big smile on her face.
She’s got 2 appointments next week with the OSU doctors with one being an in person visit so we’re looking forward to seeing what they say.
Thanks again for all your prayers and support and I hope y’all are staying safe during these troubled times.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Tam and I took her up to the Jamison sports medicine facility on Fred Taylor Ave this morning for an in person appointment with the doctor who did the shoulder operation on her the night she was hit on March 20th. It was the first time she actually saw him since that terrible day because she doesn’t remember much after the accident. She said it felt great finally meeting him and thanking him in person for taking such good care of her. He said he remembers it being very late and her shoulder being in one of the worse shattered messes he’s ever seen.
He said her shoulder motion and scarring are both coming along very nicely but her total range of motion won’t get close to 100% for another year after some quality PT and determination. He also doesn’t see her having bouts of arthritis due to this but nothing’s certain I guess.
She’s also go the green light to do some driving and boating but we’ll wait till she talks to the Dr who fixed her pelvis tomorrow. She has been complaining about some pain and discomfort in that area since she’s been walking some. Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers....👍🏻🙏

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Our son shattered his elbow 2 years ago in a softball game, 2 surgeries and a lot of therap later he’s got good range of motion (ER dr our DIL he wouldn’t have use of that arm anymore) and can golf and still fish with me. It’s a drawn out process but she’ll get there and not look back.....

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Ok, first off I apologize for the long span since my last update. Been busy and then when I do remember to update someone yells, squirrel!!! Then I’m distracted and get busy again. Lol

She is doing great considering it’s been about 5 months since the accident. She’s finished 6 of her 7 classes with a B+ average and will finish another class this week sometime. Her last final exam which was this past Friday she got a 92% on and made us and her extremely happy and proud.
We dropped off her car and her clothes and food a few weeks ago. She’ll finish her 7th and final class this week sometime and will also continue her rehabilitation and PT up there as well. She still has pain in several areas and is a long way from gaining back her range of motion in her busted up left shoulder though. She also says it aches when it gets damp and rainy outside which we hate to hear but what can you do.😐
She’s walking better and her spirits are much better considering how bad her injuries were but we’re very blessed she’s improved this much. Thank you all for the continued love and support!

She’s planning on coming home this weekend for some R&R before starting the fall classes. We’re looking forward to seeing her again.🤗👍🏻

Fletch

Supporting Member
Ric, I was just wondering the other day how she was doing... Great to hear she's improving and getting her classes done.. Pain can be expected and will improve as she keeps up with her P/T... Enjoy her visit this weekend... Tell her to keep up the good work and remember she's got alot of people in her corner praying for a complete recovery ..

Reactions: finelyshedded