Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Refreezing steaks?

Smawgunner2

Athens County
Picked up my meat from the processor today and they gave me the back straps vacuum sealed whole. I swore I told them steaks but…..I’d like to thaw them, cut into steaks and refreeze. Is this a bad idea?

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Picked up my meat from the processor today and they gave me the back straps vacuum sealed whole. I swore I told them steaks but…..I’d like to thaw them, cut into steaks and refreeze. Is this a bad idea?
Yes and No

Technically the time you have them unthawed will count towards the 4 hour limit of foods being between 40 degrees and cooked for food safety. There is also the aspect that thawing and refreezing will increase the number of ice crystals that formed in the cells. These crystals puncture the cell membranes and allow additional fluid to leak out but its been shown to be minimal loss of moisture compared to most people's cooking.

I'd have no problem doing it myself.

Reactions: Smawgunner2

Bighoun52

In the woods
I was always told, and this was just mom and grandmas, that once it’s dethawed it shouldn’t be be refrozen. Gives it more chances for contamination. Yes if it stays below 46 degrees it should be fine. But I still would wait and cut the steaks when I’m ready to eat them

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish

When we hunted in the UP we always brought home deer that were completely frozen. Several times with Ohio deer in late season as well. We had to thaw, butcher, package and re-freeze. Never ever had issues with meat not coming out perfect after cooking.

I would only thaw it enough to slice or preferably just cut the back strap into a suitable portion you can slice later when you cook it. That can be done while it is frozen with an appropriate saw.

Reactions: giles and Bluefinn

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I don’t think you’ll notice anything negative in the quality of the steaks if you refreeze them. You could, however, be increasing a likelihood of freezer burn since you’ll be exposing more surface area of the meat.

My question is, why do you wish to cut them now and refreeze them? I would simply leave them as-is, and cut them into steaks when it comes time to cook them.

Jamie

Ohio
Thaw in refrigerator just until you can carve them up, re-freeze immediately. I've done it a few times and have never noticed any appreciable difference in the quality of the cooked meat. Obviously, it is best to only freeze one time, but I ALWAYS freeze my chunked up meat that is going to the grinder and partially thaw it before grinding. Just enough to get the chunks apart. Half frozen meat grinds much better and seems to hold onto its moisture better, but I cannot prove that.

Pet peeve of mine. "Unthaw", "dethaw" means the opposite of "thaw". wrong thread, but I'm too lazy to find the other. ;)

Smawgunner2

Athens County
I don’t think you’ll notice anything negative in the quality of the steaks if you refreeze them. You could, however, be increasing a likelihood of freezer burn since you’ll be exposing more surface area of the meat.

My question is, why do you wish to cut them now and refreeze them? I would simply leave them as-is, and cut them into steaks when it comes time to cook them.
It's just too much to eat at once. My wife won't eat venison so ill grill a small steak now and then. I don't think I can properly cut them when frozen.

Reactions: Mike

ThatBuckeyeGuy

Ohio
It's just too much to eat at once. My wife won't eat venison so ill grill a small steak now and then. I don't think I can properly cut them when frozen.
Thaw them just enough to be able to cut them to your liking. You will have zero issues . The amount of meat that's froze and then unthawed and sold at the store and then refroze would blow your mind. Plus they're backstraps, solid meat. It's one thing if it's ground meat or already been processed , much more chance of bacteria exposure. Solid cut your fine . Several people freeze deer meat just to unthaw at a later date to recut and grind to turn into specialty meats and refreeze . You're fine don't think to much into it. Just don't let it sit on the counter for hours and get room temperature.